Re: America Drowning in Milk Nobody Wants

[ Edited ]

@dooBdoo wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@novamc1 wrote:

@Trinity11

I don't think any physician would recommend that an  older adult consume large amounts of calcium, because it tends to clog the arteries.

I know people whose doctors have advised not to avoid dairy products entirely, but advised  not to take calcium supplements on the side.

I didn't know that calcium clogged the arteries @novamc1. I thought it was the fat in milk. Thanks for your post.

After a couple of heart attacks, I am really trying to avoid any substance that will add to my cholesterol. So far so good but I know that my cheese habit isn't a healthy one.

The ‘calcium’ in Calcium Scoring connected with heart disease

isn’t the same calcium found in a milk carton...even though it 

contributes to heart disease due to the high fat content dairy

naturally has.

Quoting webMD:

The calcium that the scan is looking for is tied in with plaque.

This is not the stuff you get on your teeth, but a different kind found

in your arteries. It’s made partly of fat and calcium,

and it’s not good for your heart.

@sidsmom, in the interest of fair disclosure...I recently retired with over 40 years of nursing experience, the bulk of those being in critical care specializing in coronary care nursing.  A calcium ion is a calcium ion whether it is plaque in a coronary artery, the bone, or as part of a food product. 

I had to look at your source and found you totally misinterpreted what Webmd had to say.  I could not imagine that a reputable website as Webmd would state that the calcium in plaque in coronary artery disease is not the same calcium found in a milk carton.  And in fact, it did not.

This is a direct quote from the website:  "The calcium the scan {coronary calcium scan} is looking for is tied in with plaque.  This is not the stuff you get on your teeth, but a different kind found in your arteries.  It is made partly of fat and calcium, and it's not good for your heart". 

That statement is about plaque, not calcium.  It is stating that the calcium scan is looking for calcium ions as a component of plaque in the coronary arteries.  And the plaque is different than the type of plaque found on your teeth.  You don't get calcium "on" your teeth.  You get plaque on your teeth.  It is the plaque that contributes to coronary artery disease.  It is the plaque that causes narrowing of all types of blood vessels and calcium is a component of plaque.  It is  this type of plaque that is different than the  plaque found on "your teeth".

So in fact, the calcium the coronary calcium scan is looking for is the same calcium as found in a carton of milk, in other food products, or calcium supplements.  

Here is the exact website for anyone wanting to read the page:

https://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/coronary-calcium-scan#1  

@Trinity11@novamc1, calcium is found in plaque in arterial disease of all types in humans.  If you are interested, Harvard medical school has some good articles about the debate surrounding calcium supplements and heart disease.  The verdict is still out & hasn't been definitively supported by research.  However, they do maintain that the best source of calcium is via intake of dietary calcium, not supplements.   

Sorry, but this former coronary care nurse could not let that piece of misinformation go unnoticed.

Thank you, so much, @pitdakota!❤️   You are a treasure, and I agree with @Trinity11, I respect your experience, education, and expertise.   I think we sometimes forget (or, at least, I forget!) to let you know just how much we appreciate the insight and the reliable information you've shared over the years with such warm, measured, approachable style that reflects your generosity of spirit...  so I want to be sure and do so now.    Thank you, again.thumbs up gif

@Yes, thank you @pidakota! For many years we have been blessed to have you share with us your knowledge. It has been a great pleasure reading your posts. I have learned a great deal from you.

I place you, too, @dooBdoo in that same category. Always eager to help and a wealth of knowledge you are a gem here, my friend....

Honored Contributor

Thank you for that lovely compliment, @Trinity11.   I feel the same way about you and your contributions.🌻

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdooand @Trinity11 they are pioneering a new procedure that changes your blood surgar level overnight. It is almost miraculous. I have posted about it in Nov diabetes thread..A cure is close

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@dooBdooand @Trinity11 they are pioneering a new procedure that changes your blood surgar level overnight. It is almost miraculous. I have posted about it in Nov diabetes thread..A cure is close

Thank you @cherry. I will have to go read it.

Just wanted to take this moment to also thank you for your contributions here. Many a time, I have been kind of depressed about my health and you are always so upbeat and full of enthusiasm and hope ...it really helps a lot.Heart

Respected Contributor

Hi @RoughDraft!  Good to see you as well.  I am not on here as often in the past, but the thread title interested me since a friend's father is closing his dairy farm.  He has really been struggling the last 2 years after really doing very well up to that point.  There has also been some local news coverage on Kentucky dairy farmers that are throwing in the towel.  

Always good to see you and hope you are doing well!  Smiley Happy

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

Thank you for the kind words @Trinity11 and @dooBdoo.  Patient teaching is a primary role for nursing, so it just hits me when I see something so patently wrong that misinforms someone when it pertains to their health.

There isn't any way a credible website is going to say Calcium is bad for the heart!  Any health care professional that knows the cardiac system knows that Calcium, along with Sodium and Potassium plays a fundamental role in the heart by way of the conduction system that results in a heart beat.

Not to mention the heart is a muscle, just like any other muscle in the body.  And muscle needs calcium so that a muscle can contract and relax.  

It is plain to see the text is referring to the plaque.  That is what is bad for the heart, It isn't talking about calcium. But a signficant amount of Calicium IN THE plaque is where we get the phrase hardening of the arteries.  So they do want to know the amount of Calcium in the plaque.  Red blood cells are also a component of in plaque in arteries.  And we know red blood cells are not bad for the heart!  

@cherry, I understand completely.  One can take something and try to twist it to fit, but it just doesn't work that way.  Smiley Happy 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *