Trusted Contributor

Re: Amenities you always wished you could have in a house and now you hate them

@lovesrecess wrote:

We need to downsize but stay in our part of town.  Have found almost every home we have looked at has sunken living rooms and huge, space-wasting wet bars with three walls. DH cannot do steps...so the sunken living-rooms are a dealbreaker when there is almost no way to eliminate them. We even had a contractor look at one and he said due to the ceilings the floor could not be raised to eliminate the step-down. As you get older, stairs and even a single step-down can be a problem. DD has a sunken den and more than one older family member has fallen on the step-down. Even the grandkids, when they are toddlers, have a hard time. The wet bars are a waste of space, especially when we don’t even drink. We have one in our house now and never use it. Many have turned them into office or computer space, but I don’t want to eliminate the sink in ours. Can’t imagine why these became so popular back in the 70’s-80’s. Another amenity we see a lot of are atriums...waste of space. Skylights we have and would never want them again...too bright, leak, and are the first thing to go in a hail storm,

My MIL recently asked us again if we would like her home when something happens to her.  Reading this thread again reminds me why every time she mentions this we find a way to change the subject.  One thing I really don't like about that house is the sunken living room and family room.  

I have always questioned on the House Hunter shows when couples want a bathtub in their house for kids.  They don't realize how short a period of time it is useful.  

Respected Contributor

@ Mindy D
Nice thread. As so many have said, thankful daily for blessing of lively comfortable home. Are there things I might change in a “perfect” situation? Yes. I would have a much larger laundry room. Place for sacks, shoes, vacuum, laundry sorting, kitchen extras, second fridge. Larger hall closet.
Esteemed Contributor

The only thing Id want is one big bathroom with a jacuzzi, instead of the 3 smaller bathrooms we have now. (although we have a hot tub on our deck its expensive to run in colder weather) Other then wanting a big bathroom, our house is too much for me to keep up with anymore. Id rather downsize to a 2 bedroom, 1 bath house. Maybe years ago Id have wanted more amenities, but now I want LESS lol

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

A marble bathroom. I have Crema Marfil (light beige) marble floors, walls, and countertop, with a Grecian mosaic border all around. It looks beautiful, but it’s not practical. The marble stains and scratches.

I should have used porcelain tile, and granite or quartz countertop... I would never use marble in a kitchen.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

I always wanted high ceilings with recessed lighting. Although it is nicer looking, changing the lightbulbs is a NIGHTMARE!

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

Ceiling fans aren't as great as I thought they would be. And one of ours goes loco. It spins so fast it's dangerous. I never use them unless I burn something in the kitchen and I'm airing out the whole house.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr