Esteemed Contributor

Re: Amenities you always wished you could have in a house and now you hate them

@iwrite I loved my deck but over the years I got tired of the maintenance, so now I prefer a patio.  I’m in the midst of doing maintenance on my deck right now.  Ugh.

Esteemed Contributor

I have most of the amenities u mentioned --- and I LOVE them all. I need "space" - otherwise I'm claustrophobic.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I do not have one single thing to complain about when it comes to my house.  I never thought I'd have anything one tenth this nice growing up.  I pinch myself every day that I live here.

I can't think of one single thing I'd boo-hoo about.  I come from shacks, a few nice little houses, slum lords and trailer houses, and a lot of people are still living in those, so no, I'm over the moon.  

My college apartment was a dream place to me.  Student married housing, 650 feet!  LOL!!!  Just the two of us and one bathroom!  And the cat.

@Sooner I don't think most of us are really complaining (I grew up poor, and am grateful every single day for what I have now). Just as I get older, cleaning/maintaining this house is harder than it used to be...and if I could build another it would be very different.

Honored Contributor

@vermint wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I do not have one single thing to complain about when it comes to my house.  I never thought I'd have anything one tenth this nice growing up.  I pinch myself every day that I live here.

I can't think of one single thing I'd boo-hoo about.  I come from shacks, a few nice little houses, slum lords and trailer houses, and a lot of people are still living in those, so no, I'm over the moon.  

My college apartment was a dream place to me.  Student married housing, 650 feet!  LOL!!!  Just the two of us and one bathroom!  And the cat.

@Sooner I don't think most of us are really complaining (I grew up poor, and am grateful every single day for what I have now). Just as I get older, cleaning/maintaining this house is harder than it used to be...and if I could build another it would be very different.

I have lived in three houses.  The first had some very inconvenient things and both were not quick sale because of their shortcomings.  We were happy in both though.

This house has everything I want/need but I don't think of houses in terms of exactly what I want.  I just don't think that way.  I have never seen an ideal house, and to me the most important thing is where it is.  Otherwise, it will probably work for me! 

Honored Contributor

@vermint wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I have lived in three houses.  The first had some very inconvenient things and both were not quick sale because of their shortcomings.  We were happy in both though.

This house has everything I want/need but I don't think of houses in terms of exactly what I want.  I just don't think that way.  I have never seen an ideal house, and to me the most important thing is where it is.  Otherwi

Esteemed Contributor

what kind of hardwood floors  did you install to go with your cherry cabinets ?

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D   So many things! Could not list them all..... but I keep dreaming!

Respected Contributor

My husband and I were lucky enough to purchase our dream home afer ten years of marriage.

It is a big, three story drafty Victorian (120 years old), nine bedrooms, clawfoot tub, solidly built of stone with a huge tower!  No open plan design here--we can securely close each room, and have three sets of sliding wood pocket doors. Many of the windows have interior wooden shutters, and we have lovely tiled mantles with gas fireplaces in four rooms.

Each floor is wood parquet with a different design and we have carved woodwork everywhere. We have wallpapered many of the key rooms with detailed and colorful  reproduction wallpaper. We have a large wrap-around porch and porches on the second and third floors as well (all original).

My house is extremely expensive to heat (no air-conditioning), very time-consuming to clean, constantly needs updates, roof repairs and yard work, BUT we adore being caretakers of this historic home and hope to stay here until we die.  We will NEVER remodel to destroy the integrity of the original design of the house and hope it will stay preserved forever. 

Home is where the heart is!

Esteemed Contributor

It makes sense to have the laundry on the 2nd floor where 95% of clothes are.  No schlepping baskets upstairs. Exception being dish towels and towels for a downstairs bathroom.

I would worry if there was a major leak with the washer wouldn't it hurt the 1st floor ceiling and main living area if bad enough.

My current laundry room is small.  Loved the one I had it was huge.  We had a walkin closet put in it. Kept all extra sheet sets, blankets there.  Back wall had bar to hang things and a ton of shelving.

Honored Contributor

No, but there are things I wish I had, like an upstairs laundry room.