Trusted Contributor

Re: Amenities you always wished you could have in a house and now you hate them

I would like to downsize more than anyrhing.  Two people do not need a 2,500 sq ft house and 30 acres of land and 4 car garage.  I would be content with a 1200 sq ft condo and that way I could keep up the inside like I wish.  Both my knees are worn out and I do not get done what I did even five years ago.  I was a meticulous housekeeper at that time and not a speck of dust anywhere.  Not so anymore but hubs could care less as most men are.  My house is wall to wall furniture and so much to dust. I am not complaining at all; just answering the post.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FancyPhillyshopper    You are describing my childhood home, and my still very much beloved style of home.  So happy you and your husband are enjoying it and preserving its integrity.

I am very happy with my two story attached end-lot attached rental in DC.

Just wish I had better cabinet space in the kitchen which has three drawers instead of a base cabinet.  I don't find those drawers very useful.  Top, shallow one holds my silverware.  Bottom two are deeper and constantly need straightening.  They are drawers--not pull out trays.

So, I make do with a stainless steel five foot table that one would find in a restaurant kitchen.  Helps since I have limited--very limited counter space.  But I constantly have to clear it off.  Too easy for dear Significant Other to plop things down and there they stay until I put them away!

Love the picture window in the living room and love the fenced in front and back yards so we can garden.

Overall, happy to be blessed with what I have, but still like to dream of what would be nice.

@Mindy D   Interesting topic.  Thank you for initiating it.

Super Contributor

We have lived in our home 51 years & I wouldn't change a thing!  At one point we had a family room but decided to make it a dining room.  I never did understand family rooms.  Aren't living rooms for 'living'?  Anyhow, as our family grew we realized we needed a diining room & I have never regretted it.  We don't use it that often but often enough that there is plenty of space for the whole grown-up family plus grandchildren & occasional guests. The best part of all, it's our home!

Honored Contributor

I wanted a jacuzzi tub but don’t use it due to the high cost of water where I live in CA. 

In the new house I’m building (where there is ample water) I’ll have a deep soaking tub, but no jets.  Good compromise for me 

Honored Contributor

We built our current house about four years ago.  I have no complaints as it has all of the features I ever wanted.  I will say however, that I don't use the jetted tub the way I thought I would.

Honored Contributor

Well, I have thought of something I would want and do long for:  A BUTLER!

He would take the phone calls, keep the pantry stocked and clean, see to the bills, answer the door, go get the cleaning, send cards for birthdays, tidy up a little, take back the library books, keep the car washed, run out when we are missing something, open and mail packages, etc.

Most people say a maid, but we could hire someone every 2 or three weeks to do that.  The butler would be there between me and the world.  That would be my dream!  

Honored Contributor

the one most important thing that I wished never existed in my house are the STUPID stairs !!!! I HATE them------My house is old and outdated from 1986---have no amenities to speak of--they weren't a thing back then. Actually I HATE the whole house---if you want to get down to brass tacks----

Respected Contributor

I grew up in a modest home, but spent the 21 years after grad school in small NY apartments.  I wanted space, and bought a beautiful 2,300 square foot home in FL.  I LOVE it!  I love the high ceilings. I love how bright it is.  I love the space that I don't really use, but that makes it look so gracious to me.  I've sold real estate for 7 years, so I see a lot of houses.  I still LOVE mine!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@skatting44 wrote:

what kind of hardwood floors  did you install to go with your cherry cabinets ?

I am guessing this question was meant for me??

I have red oak hardwoods in their natural color...no stain on them.  They go great with my cherry cabinets and wood trim.

I am attaching a pic that I took of my dog, but you can clearly see the floor and cabinets.

My dog matches too!

914CD97E-5B85-4647-9FBA-4C677636D1BB.jpeg

Honored Contributor

I wished I had my stainless steel sink back.  We remodeled the kitchen a few years back and put in one of those dark brown hard sinks.  I really dislike it.