Honored Contributor

Re: AmazonSmile will shut down on February 20th

[ Edited ]

@ciao_bella wrote:

I think that many people were either unaware of the smile.amazon web address, or unintentially forgot to use it when ordering.  I believe if it was located on the original Amazon web address, it would have been a much bigger success.   Myself included, I admit that at times I would just forget and type in Amazon instead of the Smile.amazon in the web address.  

I personally, chose to support local animal charities in my area that TNR cats and dogs and care for shelter animals.   

@ciao_bella  I think you're right. Smile tended to be somewhat obscure and it was easy to order without realizing you weren't on the Smile page. Even when you caught your mistake, the only option Amazon offered was to cancel the order entirely and reorder, assuming you were able to do so quickly. My chosen recipients were also animal and wildlife charities, some of which also helped address environmental issues as they impacted animals. The revised list seems to ignore all three areas.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella wrote:

I think that many people were either unaware of the smile.amazon web address, or unintentially forgot to use it when ordering.  I believe if it was located on the original Amazon web address, it would have been a much bigger success.   Myself included, I admit that at times I would just forget and type in Amazon instead of the Smile.amazon in the web address.  

I, personally, chose to support local animal charities in my area that TNR cats and dogs and care for shelter animals.   

And Amazon never made the Smile option available on the iPad App, which is how I always order.  It was available for phones, but never for the iPad.  

Respected Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@ciao_bella wrote:

I, personally, chose to support local animal charities in my area that TNR cats and dogs and care for shelter animals.   

And Amazon never made the Smile option available on the iPad App, which is how I always order.  It was available for phones, but never for the iPad.  

Interesting that it was never available on the iPad App.  It seems like they purposely tried to make it more obscure, though that doesn't surprise me.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Respected Contributor

@ciao_bella wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@ciao_bella wrote:

Interesting that it was never available on the iPad App.  It seems like they purposely tried to make it more obscure, though that doesn't surprise me.  

I simply used the browser on my iPad and went to smile.Amazon.com.

Honored Contributor

@jonbon wrote:

@ciao_bella wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@ciao_bella wrote:

I simply used the browser on my iPad and went to smile.Amazon.com.

That option is certainly available, but I prefer using the app.

Esteemed Contributor

Amazon Smile was saved on my phone, tablet, and PC.  One click and I went right to it.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

i dont remember seeing any email regarding this? thanks for the heads up.

i am so disappointed that one of my favorite charities will no longer benefit from my personal and business purchases on amazon. UNIFIED COMMUNITY CONNECTIONS.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@reviewer from sc wrote:

I received this e-mail last night. Very unfortunate. I like choosing the charity that would receive the funds. Now, Amazon chooses. 

I got the email too and was sad to hear this.  My charity was Felines and Friends of Santa Fe NM .  They didn't get zillions of dollars but every dollar counts.

I was happy with what they have decided to do instead.  It's better than doing nothing.

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

On top of this, Amazon has now advised Prime members that free shipping of food from Amazon Fresh (which frankly, is often not that fresh...) is soon only going to be available when spending $150 or more. The threshold used to be $35. That's quite a jump. Either Amazon is hurting or they've so taken over the marketplace they feel they no longer have to please or appease the public. With the ending of Smile, they could've gone a long way toward avoiding discontent had they cast a wider net and included more types of organizations to support. Not surprising, one supposes, when you take a look at the groups who qualify for reduced Prime fees.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...