Valued Contributor

Re: AmazonSmile will shut down on February 20th

@stevieb wrote:

@Rockycoast wrote:

Just reread the Charities that Amazon is now and will be supporting/donating to.  Very good indeed.  Low income housing, helping out students in school systems that can't afford what is needed, Fast tracking disaster aid, Food banks. Yes, very happy that Amazon has chosen to help our fellow Americans in need.  You have to wonder about the people that think that these causes are unworthy of being donated to or helped. smh   As stated I will continue to purchase from Amazon.  No reason not to.

As is your right, but really, no need to shake your head too hard in wonderment nor to judge those who would, perhaps, opt to support some of these causes, but who also prioritize differently. Amazon, like most entities, has and will continue to support charitable causes. It's both a tax break and a source of PR for them. Some simply find it unfortunate that for a time their 'valued' customers had a voice but soon they no longer will. Some of us will respond as we see fit, just as you plan to do.

@stevieb Very well said.

Honored Contributor

Thank you @Eager2Learn. I didn't really want to reply to the post, but one does get a bit weary of folks assuming their point of view is the only 'correct' one and that there's something wrong with those who don't agree.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@RollTide2008 wrote:

As an accountant, I can appreciate the cost to administer this program was probably exhorbitant.  My chosen organization was the booster organization for my son's sport team.  To be honest, what we made from it was not a lot.  I imagine Amazon was processing and reconciling donations and issuing very small payments to many organziations.  All that costs money.

On the other hand, I also volunteer at my community's food bank and resource pantry and see first hand the contributions Amazon makes in terms of donations and volunteer hours from their team.

I could have understood that perhaps the range of recipients became unmanageable and could have supported them narrowing down the scope. Still, they might have been more inclusive of a variety of types of target recipients and continued to permit customers to designate their choice within a more narrow list, but instead they simply chose what they assumed to be hot button groups to receive their largess for which they likely expect to receive the most kudos. They won't be getting any from me.

The "narrow" list includes housing, education, disaster relief, and food insecurity.  Which of those do you object to?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RollTide2008 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@RollTide2008 wrote:

As an accountant, I can appreciate the cost to administer this program was probably exhorbitant.  My chosen organization was the booster organization for my son's sport team.  To be honest, what we made from it was not a lot.  I imagine Amazon was processing and reconciling donations and issuing very small payments to many organziations.  All that costs money.

On the other hand, I also volunteer at my community's food bank and resource pantry and see first hand the contributions Amazon makes in terms of donations and volunteer hours from their team.

I could have understood that perhaps the range of recipients became unmanageable and could have supported them narrowing down the scope. Still, they might have been more inclusive of a variety of types of target recipients and continued to permit customers to designate their choice within a more narrow list, but instead they simply chose what they assumed to be hot button groups to receive their largess for which they likely expect to receive the most kudos. They won't be getting any from me.

The "narrow" list includes housing, education, disaster relief, and food insecurity.  Which of those do you object to?

Did you ever stop to think it might be what ISN'T there that some of us find concerning? Other than disaster relief, which can benefit everyone, all the other categories have a pretty specific target audience, which is fine, but again, if it's all right with you, some of us would like to see a couple of other audiences targeted... And once again, customer inability to have a voice is a big factor... None of this is much of a challenge to understand, other than for those with an 'I'm right and you're not' mentality... Many of us don't agree with Amazon's move and I think we're allowed to say so... At the end of the day, those who seem to want to rather bumptiously mock other points of view might just consider Amazon has made their choice and now we're all free to make ours, and really, perhaps ask why it should matter to you if some of us are choosing to walk away or go in a different direction...

Honored Contributor

@RollTide2008 

All of them.

There are government programs already in place to address those issues. Any of us who pay taxes support them. I choose to support small all volunteer organizations that depend on private donations. Ones that haven't well paid administrators supported by the government.

Valued Contributor

@RollTide2008 Aren't you glad you asked? Perhaps if Amazon supported "Make 'Talk Like a Victorian' a National Holiday", some wouldn't be so bumptious.

Honored Contributor

Are you aware of organizations that transport dogs, cats rabbits...mostly from the South to homes in the North? There are people who volunteer to plan legs, often 15/20 legs, and the people who donate their time, vehicle, and gas to take them to a home of their own? Those who rescue horses, those who foster, those who trap feral cats so they can be neutered and released, and those who provide food and shelter for them? Those are the sort of charities that are important to me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Stelladorable wrote:

@RollTide2008 Aren't you glad you asked? Perhaps if Amazon supported "Make 'Talk Like a Victorian' a National Holiday", some wouldn't be so bumptious.

Never mind. Some folks with a single track agenda are best just ingored...

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think that many people were either unaware of the smile.amazon web address, or unintentially forgot to use it when ordering.  I believe if it was located on the original Amazon web address, it would have been a much bigger success.   Myself included, I admit that at times I would just forget and type in Amazon instead of the Smile.amazon in the web address.  

I, personally, chose to support local animal charities in my area that TNR cats and dogs and care for shelter animals.   

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Are you aware of organizations that transport dogs, cats rabbits...mostly from the South to homes in the North? There are people who volunteer to plan legs, often 15/20 legs, and the people who donate their time, vehicle, and gas to take them to a home of their own? Those who rescue horses, those who foster, those who trap feral cats so they can be neutered and released, and those who provide food and shelter for them? Those are the sort of charities that are important to me.

@occasionalrain  Agree. Not only are there government programs supporting the causes Amazon has chosen but there are scores of local and national organizations that do so as well. We each get to choose those organizations we find worthy of our support. We don't need Amazon to do it for us.They modified the method they employ to select recipients of their contributions away from one that permitted customer input and that's their call, but it then becomes the customer's call whether or not to support that change. It's an individual choice based on individual priorities and other than flat out arrogance, that shouldn't be so hard to understand, nor should it be open to question that none of us is compelled to simply go along.