Trusted Contributor

Re: Amazon2 Unveils Its Helix Building in Arlington, VA

[ Edited ]

I work in Crystal City and that I guess I'm a minority in that I think it's hideous.  Good grief it looks like whipped topping on a cupcake.  And no it doesn't fit in at all with the existing architechture in Crystal City.  Like I said I guess I'm a minorty here but there's enough traffic in the city and that weird building is the last thing the city needed taking up more of the too few parking places.  I have to vanpool in because there are no real places at my building and the underground parking is filled.  I would think it would have been better placed where it wasn't among regular buildings.  Maybe they could have done a building with their big swoosh logo.  I think it sticks out like a sore thumb and not in a nice way.  If you like it that's great, I just dont see the attraction.  *update* I sent the picture to a friend I work with and he said it looks like the poop emoji covered in trees Smiley LOL

Trusted Contributor

@golding76 Not sure what deal VA made with The Dark Overlord regarding public transportation but I can tell you that those of us who made it known we did NOT want it in Rockville, MD demanded to know just HOW he was going to "fix" public transportation to allow it.

You see, unless he was planning to rip out hundreds of established neighborhoods, shops, businesses there was NO WAY to add or change anything in the densely populated area that was the chosen site. I remember people laughing because it was so ridiculous; you can't add to something that has NO MORE ROOM.  So, I don't know what Crystal City is going to do but I wish them all the best. 

As for Baltimore needing it: nope. No way. Amazon has taken over enough land/property for it's distribution/warehouse centers. The one by the harbor is growing and if you haven't heard about the HUGE SECRET Amazon project that is taking place behind BWI ....research it. And, there is more to come all with ****** pay and not much better working conditions. 

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Valued Contributor

Some of the buildings in Crystal City have been sitting empty since the Navy moved out (due to BRAC and not enough security) so I think CC was glad to have Amazon come in - also VA Tech is building a new campus down the street in Potomac Yards and they are supposed to finally get a Metro stop.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I think its beautifully different. But, I wouldn't want to be riding with my dh if we were anywhere around it. He already gawks at stuff. I can't imagine the gawking that would be going on if he had that to look at.