Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon workers say coronavirus safety measures are missing despite what company says

Come on @SeaMaiden , give Amazon and any other company a break during this pandemic! This is all new to us and we're still learning. This virus doesn't discriminate and so everyone one way or another will be affected.

There are shortages everywhere with unemployment going through the roof. Let's give Amazon, Wal Mart UPS, FedEx , USPS, grocery stores and other supply business a hand in trying to keep us supplied. God bless the people on the front lines

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon workers say coronavirus safety measures are missing despite what company says

@JaneMarple wrote:

Come on @SeaMaiden , give Amazon and any other company a break during this pandemic! This is all new to us and we're still learning. This virus doesn't discriminate and so everyone one way or another will be affected.

There are shortages everywhere with unemployment going through the roof. Let's give Amazon, Wal Mart UPS, FedEx , USPS, grocery stores and other supply business a hand in trying to keep us supplied. God bless the people on the front lines

All the more reason they should be treating their workers like gold right now. Protect the people who do the work. If they all go down we all go down.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

I think Amazon workers complain too darn much!!!

If they don't like their job,they are free to quit and someone that appreciates having a job will gladly take their place!! ..........jmo

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MalteseMomma wrote:

If they don't like their job,they are free to quit and someone that appreciates having a job will gladly take their place!! ..........jmo

Amazon has a difficult time finding workers. There's a distribution center in my area and they are constantly begging people to work there and doing promotions. If it's not safe, of course people will quit and the whole system will eventually break down. Not worth a person's life or health to work for them.

And you/we-all should care because we don't want virus on our packages or in the mail system that delivers our mail. And we want to be able to continue to buy from Amazon.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

I prefer to take responsibility for my own well being, not depending on the thoroughness of someone else to ask questions or perform sanitation functions.

You can walk into a sterile environment and just by entering it has been contaminated.  There is just so much others can do to protect me. 

Amazon can do as much as humanly possible to disinfect, assure employees are healthy, etc. but as soon as that package gets put in a vehicle every precaution that preceded is moot.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden   Well then you should be glad your order was delayed as you mentioned elsewhere.

Might have saved you being contaminated.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@JaneMarple    I did not write the Article or interview the Amazon workers concerned.   It is just information out there....Information is just that...information....  

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

I think you have an opinion about something you know nothing about.  Amazon has a history of opening up warehouses in areas where there are no jobs or where it is blighted.

The people who live there are delighted to finally have work and Amazon hires everyone.  If you are breathing, they will hire you.

Their turnover is great.  Many employees don't last past the first pay period.  They work 10 hours a day doing laborious work.  They are not allowed to talk...unless business related and they are timed and have quotas.  If they do not meet their quota, they are fired.

Here in PA, they have been in trouble a couple of times for the poor and dangerous treatment of their employees.  Once in a terrible heat wave, they had employees work until they dropped over.  They were carried outside to waiting ambulances and treated.  Then they were ushered back inside to finish their shift.

Their quotas are so high and so demanding that many cannot use the restroom because they will fall too far behind and possibly lose their job.  The stress of working there is high.

People still work there because they need to work and there are very few others in their areas.  They also offer pretty good benefits, which is rare.

Trust me.  You would not want to work in an Amazon warehouse.  They always have openings and they are always hiring.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:  EXCERPTS

Their turnover is great.  Many employees don't last past the first pay period.  They work 10 hours a day doing laborious work.  They are not allowed to talk...unless business related and they are timed and have quotas.  If they do not meet their quota, they are fired.

Their quotas are so high and so demanding that many cannot use the restroom because they will fall too far behind and possibly lose their job.  The stress of working there is high.

People still work there because they need to work and there are very few others in their areas.  

@Carmie,  sounds just like what my grandmother experienced when she worked in a factory.  She didn't like it but had a family to feed.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

@MalteseMomma wrote:

I think you have an opinion about something you know nothing about.  Amazon has a history of opening up warehouses in areas where there are no jobs or where it is blighted.

The people who live there are delighted to finally have work and Amazon hires everyone.  If you are breathing, they will hire you.

Here in PA, they have been in trouble a couple of times for the poor and dangerous treatment of their employees.  Once in a terrible heat wave, they had employees work until they dropped over.  They were carried outside to waiting ambulances and treated.  Then they were ushered back inside to finish their shift.

People still work there because they need to work and there are very few others in their areas.  They also offer pretty good benefits, which is rare.

Trust me.  You would not want to work in an Amazon warehouse.  They always have openings and they are always hiring.

@Carmie, her post reminds me of my mother. I don't think that she worked more than maybe a brief period of time in her whole life. But oh, boy, could she pontificate about lazy, complaining workers.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland