Trusted Contributor

I live by Amazon. There is not a single thing I can't order, and most times the prices are lower than I can find anywhere else, and I don't even have to leave my house.

The prime membership money is recouped in a few short months if you shop there a lot. AND when it is free shipping you end up shopping and not prowling for low ship rates or free shipping.

The customer service is the best I have ever experienced. I have not had one problem that they did not solve in 45 seconds, including just refunding my money and not even wanting the product back.

If I have to return something, the credit is issued the MINUTE it is scanned at UPS. No waiting for them to get it and then drag their feet issuing the refund.

You do have to be careful because there are Amazon products (sold and shipped by Amazon), and then there is a subset of "third party Amazon sellers". Amazon still has your back with sellers, but they do defer to the sellers return policy so you have to read carefully if you choose to purchase from a seller as sometimes they have their own return policy.

Yet, If the seller is a putz and does not want to honor a problem with a product (defective, doesn't want to refund, wants the product back before replacing, whatever the issue) all you have to do is call Amazon and talk to them and they fix the problem and then take care of the seller themselves. You never have to deal with a grunpy seller.

I would never do Amazon without Prime. I don't think it is expensive at all if you are a regular shopper.

Also, one thing Amazon has started is monthly payments for the membership fee. They take the fee and divide it by 12, so that is about $10 a month. I think they are beginning to have an "easy pay" sort of system upstarting because I have found some of the more expensive products have "pay with extended pay" (which is a monthly payment plan).

My son buys most of his work clothes from Amazon. He is a professional too, and he gets really nice clothes. They have a program now where you can order 7 items & you get them at no charge. You try them on, keep what you want, send back what you don't want, and then they bill you for what you keep. How easy is that, especially if the sizing of what you want is consistent (like his work pants). He gets the same brand, same size, colors = tan, navy, grey and black. They are cheaper than even Kohl's and he orders from his desk and they arrive the next day.

Cannot get easier than that!

Respected Contributor

RE:  "I'm not at all interested in paying $119 a year just to shop on Amazon or on any web site.  What a money making scheme that is! ..."

@Biftu  I've told on other threads that I feel I get my Prime membership for free.  I use Amazon's reward credit card for all (and only) Amazon shopping.  At this typing, I have more than $100 accrued so far this year.  It is my choice when and how to apply the money to a purchase, including membership renewal, which isn't due for several more months. 

It's important to add that even if Amazon Prime were free to everyone all the time, I would not patronize them if the customer service was unsatisfactory.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

First let me say that I do a LOT of shopping on Amazon. The lightning fast shipping, easy returns and great customer service are the reasons why. If the price is comparable I'll order something with two day shipping rather than get in the car and drive 10 miles to my Walmart - I'm that lazy!

BUT - there is also something creepy about the way Bezos is trying to take over the world - delivering your packages inside your house or garage - no thanks. And Alexa really creeps me out. I own 3 Kindle Fire tablets but Alexa is disabled.

And Prime is more than free shipping - movie and TV show streaming, music, free books, etc. It is worth the $12 per month.

Honored Contributor

Amazon has several shipping choices.   I use the "free shipping over $25", and keep an on-line shopping list with them.   When I have a $25 total, I place the order.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

All is not sweetness and light with Amazon.  I've had rotten luck with their secondary sellers.  I received wrong item for one order, they want their merchandise back but won't send a pre-paid label so here I sit with 400 rubber gloves and never got what I ordered or a refund.  Yes, I've talked to CS.

Some of their foreign vendors have such poor English skills, they have no idea what something like "taupe" is, and I never get the right color  in cosmetics.

Amazon esses up plenty and the entertainment they offer on TV stinks.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624   I had a similar challenge with getting filters for a discontinued Shark vac I had purchased at  Sears.  The first time I talked to the (overseas) rep, I received the entire plastic housing for the filter assembly.    Called them again, and got filters for the wrong model.   Third time I called, the rep just yelled "You get money back."    I threw the Shark out, and never bought another product from them(!!!)   di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon vs. QVC

[ Edited ]

@Desertdi.  I was just thinking of you.  A friend just sent me a clip from a Midland, Tx TV station of a haboob they had yesterday in Big Spring, Tx.  It got as dark as a moonless night.  Unheard of in this area so I bet people were scared to death.  I thought they were uniquely Arizonan in the US.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

All is not sweetness and light with Amazon.  I've had rotten luck with their secondary sellers.  I received wrong item for one order, they want their merchandise back but won't send a pre-paid label so here I sit with 400 rubber gloves and never got what I ordered or a refund.  Yes, I've talked to CS.

Some of their foreign vendors have such poor English skills, they have no idea what something like "taupe" is, and I never get the right color  in cosmetics.

Amazon esses up plenty and the entertainment they offer on TV stinks.

@Kachina624 wrote:

Amazon esses up plenty and the entertainment they offer on TV stinks

I love Amazon and Orime.  I am LOL at you having 400 rubber gloves.   Too funny!   I needed that laugh thanks.  Maybe you could have a garage sale   LOLOLOL

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Desertdi.  I was just thinking of you.  A friend just sent me a clip from a Midland, Tx TV station of a haboob they had yesterday in Big Spring, Tx.  It got as dark as a moonless night.  Unheard of in this area so I bet people were scared to death.  I thought they were uniquely Arizonan in the US.

@Kachina624  Not a good sign that the weather pattern is expanding.   I knew about the haboobs before I moved here........but being in one is a different story.   The first one scared the you-know-what out of me. And the second, third, etc.   I bet the "ancients" thought it was the end of the world.    di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

The thing about Amazon is they literally sell everything under the sun. Two different categories of stores.

@Nancy Drew 

Yes, true, QVC and Amazon are two different categories of stores, but, would QVC have notified their customer that an order had been lost in transit, before the customer even knew that it had been lost?

Would QVC have then automatically refunded the money to the customer, without the customer having to life a single finger?

I think you and I both know the answer to those questions.

That was the point that I was trying to make.

It actually sounds like the refund was from a third party seller not Amazon directly.  Third party sellers are very dependent on good customer reviews in order to continue to sell on the Amazon site. Could not imagine Amazon tracking every shipment many are not shipped from Amazon warehouses.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.