Regular Contributor

Re: Amazon signs Woody Allen for his first-ever TV series... good idea or bad idea?

Talk about being desperate to even think of him doing a series!!

"You never know when the last time is the
last time."
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Amazon signs Woody Allen for his first-ever TV series... good idea or bad idea?

His adopted daughters. The one on the right. Her face...

He looks so happy.........and she looks so miserable and angry. Crossed arms.

Honored Contributor

On 1/13/2015 adelle38 said:
On 1/13/2015 dooBdoo said:

It's a conundrum, the issue of separating the person from the work. And add to that the discussions we've had here about allegations toward a person when it seems there's plenty of evidence but we don't know for certain. Not defending the indefensible, just thinking out loud.

<em>Noel</em>'s comment reminded me of the fact that I'm a fan of the visual arts and of literature, but frankly I don't really know much about the personal life of most of the people who created the art and literature. A favorite movie of mine is (maybe <em>was</em>) "Crimes and Misdemeanors," which is complex and was always fun to watch and analyze all the imagery and themes... but the last time I noticed it listed on the tv schedule I didn't watch. Felt uneasy about it.

It will be interesting to see if this tv series even makes it to fruition and, if so, how it will be received. Thanks for the great comments, everyone! I appreciate all the contributions.

We do know that Woody had an affair with the teenage daughter of his mistress who is also the sister of Woody's adoptive daughter and his son.

That's true, adelle. I was referring to the allegations made toward people, in general, that have been discussed here but I should've been more specific. You're right about the adoptive daughter.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

I would probably watch to see if the show was good.Smiley Happy

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Respected Contributor

On 1/13/2015 sidsmom said:

Was he ever charged with anything? Didn't all this happen 20ish yrs ago? I would think if he actually had s.ex with a minor, legal actions would've occurred by now....

Maureen Orth did a long piece on this in Vanity Fair and she includes the link to the judge's finding regarding custody of Dylan,Satchel and Moses. I can't provide a link to the Vanity Fair article because it contains a banned word.

"The state attorney, Maco, said publicly he did have probable cause to press charges against Allen but declined, due to the fragility of the “child victim.” Maco told me that he refused to put Dylan through an exhausting trial, and without her on the stand, he could not prosecute Allen."

Here's a link to the judge's decision:

http://www.vanityfair.com/dam/2014/02/woody-allen-1992-custody-suit.pdf

Thanks for posting the link because when you read this you have to wonder what was amazon thinking.

the article fill in the e http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2014/02/woody-allen-s_x-abuse-10-facts

Trusted Contributor

On 1/14/2015 lovescats said:
On 1/13/2015 sidsmom said:

Was he ever charged with anything? Didn't all this happen 20ish yrs ago? I would think if he actually had s.ex with a minor, legal actions would've occurred by now....

Maureen Orth did a long piece on this in Vanity Fair and she includes the link to the judge's finding regarding custody of Dylan,Satchel and Moses. I can't provide a link to the Vanity Fair article because it contains a banned word.

"The state attorney, Maco, said publicly he did have probable cause to press charges against Allen but declined, due to the fragility of the “child victim.” Maco told me that he refused to put Dylan through an exhausting trial, and without her on the stand, he could not prosecute Allen."

Here's a link to the judge's decision:

http://www.vanityfair.com/dam/2014/02/woody-allen-1992-custody-suit.pdf

Thanks for posting the link because when you read this you have to wonder what was amazon thinking.

the article fill in the e http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2014/02/woody-allen-s_x-abuse-10-facts

There seems to be the attitude that he's considered a "creative genius" and therefore is entitled to his "eccentricities". I don't understand how everyone overlooks the fact that he is a predator who seduced his step daughter and may have molested his daughter. My question is what is anyone who works with him thinking?

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Honored Contributor

I separate Woody's films from Woody's personal life. I like many of his films and am looking forward to see what he's into next.

Hate to say this, but if we watched only the morally upright, we could eliminate lots of Hollywood and TV personalities.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/14/2015 millieshops said:

I separate Woody's films from Woody's personal life. I like many of his films and am looking forward to see what he's into next.

Hate to say this, but if we watched only the morally upright, we could eliminate lots of Hollywood and TV personalities.

I'd say there's a huge difference between not being "morally upright" and being a child molester. I also think Woody's films reflect his disdain for women. In any case, I can moral failings but not child abuse.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Respected Contributor

Well, I have to say that I'm curious. . .

Respected Contributor

from http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/dylan-farrow-pens-open-letter-676338

also http://kristof.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/02/01/an-open-letter-from-dylan-farrow/

Dylan Farrow, the adopted daughter of Mia Farrow and Woody Allen, has written a first person account published in The New York Times that details her allegation that she was sxually assaulted by the film director at age 7.

"hen I was seven years old, Woody Allen took me by the hand and led me into a dim, closet-like attic on the second floor of our house. He told me to lay on my stomach and play with my brother’s electric train set. Then he sxually assaulted me," Farrow wrote in an open letter posted on columnist Nicholas Kristof's blog.

In an editors note at the top of the Times blog post, Kristof wrote that the letter was "the first time that Dylan Farrow herself has written about it in public." The renewed accusations surface as Allen's Blue Jasmine is nominated for three Academy Awards, including best original screenplay for the director.

Farrow also wrote that Hollywood figures have turned a "blind eye" to the accusations and specifically asked Alec Baldwin, Cate Blanchett and Louis C.K. -- who appear in Blue Jasmine -- "What if it had been your child"?