Honored Contributor

Amazon signs Woody Allen for his first-ever TV series... good idea or bad idea?

This news surprised me.{#emotions_dlg.unsure} I think the backlash will be strong, and looking at the numerous online articles the comments are just beginning but so far the negative remarks outweigh the positive ones. (This particular article has no comments at present.)

"Woody Allen has signed a deal with Amazon Studios to write and direct his first television series.

Untitled Woody Allen Project will be a half-hour series and already has a full-season order from Amazon. The series will be distributed via Prime Instant Video, Amazon's streaming service...

...The announcement comes as Amazon's original TV content rides high from a strong showing at the Golden Globes. Transparent took home two major awards — best comedy TV series and best actor in a comedy TV series for Jeffrey Tambor. Digital networks like Amazon and Netflix have become major players for high-quality original content.

Allen, however, comes with a large dose of controversy. Accusations of child molestation by the legendary writer and director resurfaced during last year's Golden Globes. Allen had been honored with the Cecil B. DeMille Lifetime Achievement Award, leading his former partner Mia Farrow and her son Ronan Farrow to tweet about the accusations. Allen was originally accused of the acts by his adopted daughter Dylan more than 20 years ago. Charges against Allen were filed, but eventually dropped. Allen has vehemently denied the allegations.

Controversy or no, Allen gives Prime a top-tier talent that won't be found anywhere else. In the arms race for talent, there are not many names like Allen, who has written and directed dozens of movies and won four Oscars.."

(article source: http://mashable.com/2015/01/13/woody-allen-amazon/)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

Re: Amazon signs Woody Allen for his first-ever TV series... good idea or bad idea?

I don't know; I'd have to wait & see some episodes before deciding.

Valued Contributor

Re: Amazon signs Woody Allen for his first-ever TV series... good idea or bad idea?

Talented or not, Woody Allen is a disgusting human being IMO {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Super Contributor

Honestly I'm so over Woody Allen - his heyday years, to me, are so long ago as far as films that I have no interest in any new venture.

Honored Contributor

Ever since he took up with Mia's daughter, I didn't enjoy his movies.

A LOT of them have themes with older men and young, teen girls....yuck!

I can't see his movies w/o thinking of what a disgusting, cheating perv he is...

Like Cosby.

Honored Contributor

On 1/13/2015 terrier3 said:

Ever since he took up with Mia's daughter, I didn't enjoy his movies.

A LOT of them have themes with older men and young, teen girls....yuck!

I can't see his movies w/o thinking of what a disgusting, cheating perv he is...

Like Cosby.

You know, terrier, my perception changed too.

I was a big fan, but after all the allegations came to light I viewed the movies in a different light and saw that strange pattern of older men and young women. Never noticed it before, oddly enough.

I think, whether we know the facts or not, the public perception is going to have an enormous negative effect on this new tv series.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I never cared for him.

Hollywood still embraces him...

Respected Contributor

He isn't someone I would have picked. Wonder who they turned down?
Esteemed Contributor

I can't even keep up with the things I already know I DO want to watch. Thank goodness for TiVo.

I tried to watch Annie Hall over the weekend on TMC, but the nonstop banter bored me. Too much he said, she said.

Not really interested in him, Soon-Yi, Mia Farrow, Ronan Farrow or anyone else in the family.

Honored Contributor

On 1/13/2015 BeckiWV said:

Not really interested in him, Soon-Yi, Mia Farrow, Ronan Farrow or anyone else in the family.

I think they're all nuts...