Respected Contributor

Re: Amazon refunded me after a bad delivery

@northiie57 wrote:

Kudos for Amazon but they really did not have to refund you.  My late husband was a fed ex driver and people really do not have no idea how back breaking the job is....super stressful to as it entails driving in worse places and a ton of lifting.  Do you know they have to help load their truck at the depot?  So they are actually lifting it twice before it gets to you.  Personally I stopped buying ALL wasted bottled water and got a fridge size Britta, it is one of my best purchases.  I wish they would just eliminate all bottled water.  JMO

I totally agree with you!  I am always amazed at the store that there is an entire aisle devoted to water!  I have a filter on my fridge door and it is great.  If I am going out and think I might want some water, I fill up my Yeti and I am set.  Also, the price is so much better with just a filter and I don't care if you do recycle, there is still waste.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

Not a feel good story. You had to wrestle with the delivery and couldn't handle it, yet you had no empathy for someone who experienced the same difficulty as you had.

@AuntG    I'm 99% sure the delivery person had a dolly on his truck but was probably too lazy to get it out and use it.  Every delivery truck in America has a dolly; heck, I even have and use one.  He could have zipped up those steps with a dolly.  What if she'd been in an upstairs apartment?  I've had heavy rugs, a refrigerator, and furniture that got to my front door just fine.  Getting it there is part of the job. 

In the case of a woman driver, she should not apply for the job if she can't do the lifting involved.  Drivers are clearly told what they'll have to lift when hired.  There are no concessions for sex.  

After reading this I had wondered about a hand cart which I assume is the same thing as a "dolly".  I would think each delivery truck has something like that on board.

Respected Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

After reading this I had wondered about a hand cart which I assume is the same thing as a "dolly".  I would think each delivery truck has something like that on board.

Since the pandemic, many deliveries are made by drivers using their own cars.  I doubt they would have hand trucks for heavy deliveries.

Honored Contributor

@lulu1 Really?  I have only seen regular delivery trucks but I guess each area is different.

Honored Contributor

That was nice. 

I had to contact Amazon after one delivery, from their service, not terribly long ago.  It was the box with my 30# bag of dog food, 10# of peanuts, and something else.    

Needless to say, that's WAY too heavy for me to lift and the issue was that they left the box halfway down my driveway!   I had to roll it up to my house, onto the step, and into the house.   By the time I was done, of course, I was in a lot of pain and rather angry.

I called to ask if there was any way to have delivery instructions, like I have with UPS.  She said she could do that and put in that deliveries need to go to my front door and ring the doorbell.  I didn't ask for the doorbell part, but that was nice so I was pleased.

Since then, the parcels are left on my porch but only one time has the delivery person rung the doorbell.    As long as they bring it up to the house I'm fine with it.

But maybe that's an option.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Do you think the bottles weighed over 50 lbs, @songbird

UPS and I believe Fedex require drivers to be able to carry over 50 lbs.  An UPS driver delivered a 94 lb portable AC up 5 steps to my door and carried it down those steps when I returned it. 

Your delivery may be a random occurrence with Amazon, but maybe not if a lot of females are delivering.  Most are unable to carry the weight men can, but what about a female recipient?  She can't carry that weight, either.

Years ago, UPS, USPS, and Fedex delivered inside my house.  They used to be friendly and we got to know them.  They went out of their way to help us.  I don't see that in my area anymore.  

Now, drivers never know whether an elderly, handicapped, or small female is living alone in the house and I think that should be taken into consideration.  It's good customer service.  

Just my opinion.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@songbird wrote:

Yesterday I had a water delivery (24 bottles of water from Fi ji) The delivery man could not manage the steps up to my porch.  It was a heavy package.  Instead he left in upright on one of the steps to my house.  We have 5 steps that lead up to our porch.  I came out and tried to wrestle with the package up the steps.  At one point, I almost lost control of the package.  I managed to stop it rolling down the steps. I steadied it and went in side for a box cutter.  Cut it opened and put away the water. No body could help me.  My husband wasn't home.  Anyway, I called Amazon and told them what happen.  The box was heavy, but we had a small refrigerator left on our porch.  That was a lot heavier then the water. I thought that was the end of it.  That was the first time in all the years of ordering from them, that they didn't put it on the porch.  But I just saw this morning that they refunded me for the water!  I didn't ask for one.

I understand your concern, and why you called them.

Certain jobs have certain requirements,and when someone works for a delivery company, I would think that being able to lift and carry a certain amount of weight repeatedly is not unexpected. 

Usually the requirement is something like 50 pounds.

Editing my post to say that it looks like @Foxxee and I were posting around the same time. Smiley Happy

Those water cases are heavy. When I've had to move them myself, I tend to half lift them, half drag them, but I tend to do like others do here, and take some of the bottles out at a time and move them that way.

Respected Contributor

Wow, it would never occur to me to complain because someone did not deliver something to my door.  If the package is too heavy, wait until your husband gets home!  Or just do what you did - open the package where it stood and bring the bottles in a few at time.

I get heavy boxes all the time and wait until my husband comes home to bring them inside. 

I think it's up to us to make the delivery process easy and accessible, not for someone to struggle getting a heavy package to your door. Sometimes I get boxes left by the garage because they are heavy.  I never even thought to call and complain and get my money back.

Honored Contributor

BTW, Songbird, do you want to hear a sorta funny story about Fiji water?  If not, that's ok, just pass on by.  Smiley Happy

Some 24 years ago I was in Fiji on a dive trip (awesome!).   We were in this store and saw these bottles of water called Fiji.  They were these lovely square bottles that had different pictures on them.   I thought they were so cool that I brought a couple (empty) bottles home to keep.

Imagine my surprise when I got back to the states and saw that Fiji water is everywhere.  D'oh!  I really thought it was just a 'Fiji thing'.  Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I recently had an order of two 40-lb bags of bird seed delivered by FedEx - not left on my steps or the porch; just left on the ground in front of my house.

I was surprised because usually things are left on the porch (only three steps).  However, I picked the bags up and heaved them inside.  I did not complain to Sam's Club because there could've been many reasons why they were left where they were and the bags were intact; no damage.

I'm always aware that these delivery jobs can often be stressful and thankless.  Yes, they are paid to do a job but I'm certain there are most days when they're run ragged trying to get all the deliveries done.

All too often we take these support system jobs for granted and they have been more important than ever this past year.