Honored Contributor

Amazon refunded me after a bad delivery

Yesterday I had a water delivery (24 bottles of water from Fi ji) The delivery man could not manage the steps up to my porch.  It was a heavy package.  Instead he left in upright on one of the steps to my house.  We have 5 steps that lead up to our porch.  I came out and tried to wrestle with the package up the steps.  At one point, I almost lost control of the package.  I managed to stop it rolling down the steps. I steadied it and went in side for a box cutter.  Cut it opened and put away the water. No body could help me.  My husband wasn't home.  Anyway, I called Amazon and told them what happen.  The box was heavy, but we had a small refrigerator left on our porch.  That was a lot heavier then the water. I thought that was the end of it.  That was the first time in all the years of ordering from them, that they didn't put it on the porch.  But I just saw this morning that they refunded me for the water!  I didn't ask for one.

Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon refunded me after a bad delivery

Not a feel good story. You had to wrestle with the delivery and couldn't handle it, yet you had no empathy for someone who experienced the same difficulty as you had.

Frequent Contributor

my goodness..think your phone call was a silly idea..I would never have done that..just cut the plastic open and bring it into your house..everyone is looking for something free!

that is the reason why you complained..now tell the truth!!

Maybe I am just in a foul mood this AM..you could have cost that delivery person their job!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I order water or anything heavy, I always open it and take the water or other items out so I don't have to struggle to get packages up the steps.  I also have rolled a heavy package up the steps.  I do not expect anyone to help or do it for me!  I do get the OP's frustration but to call Amazon and complain...  While many delivery people do go the extra mile and put things on porches and up steps it is not a mandated part of their jobs! When ordering delivery is only guaranteed to your property!!  

@songbird  Another thing to consider, if the delivery person had fallen or injured himself property owner is liable since job does not require them to haul deliveries up steps!!  He wold have been doing an unsafe act so not eligible for Worker's Comp!!

Honored Contributor

People who deliver pkges should nt have to be moving men.

Not many could lift a 24 bottle pkg without injuring their back.

So simple-when we order something that heavy, you just cut it open, take out the bottles and put in refrig. Simple solutions to something that shouldn't be a problem.

Amen.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do not understand why you would complain just because your water was left on the step. Your delivery was made to the proper address.

Aren't you the same poster who complained when your pizza delivery was left on the porch?

Esteemed Contributor

Many of our Amazon delivery people are young woman.  Some are quite tiny, I would never expect them to carry a case of water up the stairs.  As a matter of fact my hubby has helped them more than once take large packages out of the trucks for other unit owners.  

Trusted Contributor

@songbird wrote:

Yesterday I had a water delivery (24 bottles of water from Fi ji) The delivery man could not manage the steps up to my porch.  It was a heavy package.  Instead he left in upright on one of the steps to my house.  We have 5 steps that lead up to our porch.  I came out and tried to wrestle with the package up the steps.  At one point, I almost lost control of the package.  I managed to stop it rolling down the steps. I steadied it and went in side for a box cutter.  Cut it opened and put away the water. No body could help me.  My husband wasn't home.  Anyway, I called Amazon and told them what happen.  The box was heavy, but we had a small refrigerator left on our porch.  That was a lot heavier then the water. I thought that was the end of it.  That was the first time in all the years of ordering from them, that they didn't put it on the porch.  But I just saw this morning that they refunded me for the water!  I didn't ask for one.

you didn't ask for on?  You kind of did when you called nd complained. A little passive aggressive in my opinion.  Very nice of Amazon to do that and their customer service is amazing, but i agree with another poster, you could have cost that delivery person their job.  These people for the most part have gone and continue to go above and beyond for us.  

I think you need to put yourself in the position of the delivery driver.  They got your package to your address, they did their job, that should have been the end of it for both you and them.

Honored Contributor

Would be awful if the driver was reprimanded, or worse, fired. I can't envision anyone calling corporate to complain, unless they wanted a freebie.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@songbird 

I'm on your side!!!

Fed  Ex that delivers my Chewy, 20 lb, bird seed orders  does that all the time.I have complained to chewy and Fed Ex a million times to no avail!!!  I'm 83 with heart failure and cannot get it up to my door Smiley Sad  My neighbor usually sees me struggling and runs to help!  Once they even left it in my driveway and once out on the public sidewalk!

Happens to my daughters Chewy orders too.

I have cancelled many seed a/d because of it  and have finally given up and stopped birdfeeding.My joy for over 55 yrs.  Smiley Sad

Amazon doesn't always have the seed I need,but when I do order from the BIG A, they ALWAYS leave it at the top of the stairs.  Smiley Happy