Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon becoming my “GO TO” these days

@Mominohio wrote:

Never been a big fan of Amazon. I've had issues with outside or third party or whatever you call them, vendors. Learned to never use them again. Had orders lost, had to fight to get refunds when it happened. Lots of stuff I look for is out of stock during this Covid thing. Overall, not my first option when shopping. 

That said, I do and have purchased there, just not a big fan and never my first stop/look

@Mominohio 

I totally understand and share your views of Amazon....I had 3 bad experiences too and long before Covid ......  third party vendors pulling "bait & switch",  honest reviews deleted, fighting for refunds,  hacking of their site (the only purchase made on the card).....

And then I read an interview with an smug Amazon Exec on their price switching and baiting----they seemed pleased that customers assume that Amazon's prices are the lowest even though that's not always the case, but customers dont comparison shop and buy from them-----. I AM DONE WITH THEM!!!!  

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I find I get much better prices and deals on ebay than on amazon. I have been using ebay quite a lot lately. 

@Shelbelle 

Ive been very pleased with my Ebay orders, I dont play around with auctions...if the vendor has a good price I just buy it.....And I'll tell you my purchases ship just as fast as Amazon without the cost of Prime too.... Woman Very Happy

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

Never been a big fan of Amazon. I've had issues with outside or third party or whatever you call them, vendors. Learned to never use them again. Had orders lost, had to fight to get refunds when it happened. Lots of stuff I look for is out of stock during this Covid thing. Overall, not my first option when shopping. 

That said, I do and have purchased there, just not a big fan and never my first stop/look

@Mominohio 

I totally understand and share your views of Amazon....I had 3 bad experiences too and long before Covid ......  third party vendors pulling "bait & switch",  honest reviews deleted, fighting for refunds,  hacking of their site (the only purchase made on the card).....

And then I read an interview with an smug Amazon Exec on their price switching and baiting----they seemed pleased that customers assume that Amazon's prices are the lowest even though that's not always the case, but customers dont comparison shop and buy from them-----. I AM DONE WITH THEM!!!!  

@Spurt 

Glad to know I'm not the only one with those experiences (mine were pre Covid too). I usually get called a liar about my experiences with them, as there are so many people who think the sun rises and sets with Amazon. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I don't like to give them so much business as they are already so big and it takes away from smaller businesses and, of course, local stores.  But since most places have been closed, I have been forced to use them quite a lot more lately!  And you can't argue with the huge variety of products. 

@AngelPuppy1 :  one way of supporting small businesses is to purchase from Ebay; that's what I do in addition to buying from Amazon.

Honored Contributor

I bought EBay  for 20 years but I just tapered off a couple years ago.  Now, I am back.  I am just so excited I was able to buy Bobbi Brown Beach body lotion there, my discontinued hair color, car shields custom made for our fiat, neon Buddha skirts and such  and now, I bought the 
most gorgeous chemical, bug free water hyacinths for my pond when all the nurseries here were closed.  My obsessed pond fish have spawned in them twice. Since early April.  I am hoping one or two survive  

I would love to sell my purse collection there.  I have about 250 vintage, antique handbags...all unusual. And boxes of Ginny dolls going back to 50's  not to make a bunch of money, but to minimize my home.

so, EBay is my found again shop place...and they are way faster than Amazon lately

Respected Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@sueinsf wrote:

Right now I'm on a 2 month free trial of Amazon Prime.  Been using it mostly to order groceries for delivery from Whole Foods and it's been great.  I have the hang of it now!  My delivery yesterday was a breeze -- all delivery times were available when I ordered!

Also ordered some other things and deciding if I want to go monthly or yearly for Prime or if I want to cancel. I used to only order from there occasionally but wondering how much I will when our shelter in place is over.  But I agree that you find all sorts of stuff there, often at decent prices and delivery is usually reliable.  

@sueinsf

Welcome to Amazon. I started buying music from them in 1998. I subscribe to Music Unlimited today.

If you pay for a one year Prime subscription and cancel, the company will refund the balance. 

@Nuttmeg  I've shopped at Amazon for years, just never as Prime.  Would usually have to buy multiple items at once to meet the free shipping threshold.  Then I wouldn't buy anything for months...lol.  I do like the additional discounts (even at Whole Foods) and better shipping as Prime.  Good to know about that refund -- assuming they then charge as if it had been the monthly rate, which is fine.  Most people I know who have Prime love it.  I will probably go ahead and continue for a year.