Honored Contributor

Amazon Workers Strike ...

[ Edited ]

Amazon workers are striking too--

Workers from Amazon want more access to paid sick time off. At this time, it's available only to those who have tested positive for the coronavirus or get placed on mandatory self-quarantine.

Amazon Closes Kentucky Warehouse After Workers Test Positive

Amazon workers want their warehouse to be closed for a longer cleaning, with guaranteed pay.

Workers at Amazon's Staten Island facility have said that multiple people at the warehouse have been diagnosed with COVID-19. Some of them plan to walk off the job on Monday to pressure the company to close the warehouse for an extended deep cleaning.

At Amazon, which employs some 800,000 people, workers have diagnosed positively for COVID-19 in at least 11 warehouses, forcing a prolonged closure of at least one warehouse in Kentucky. The company says it has "taken extreme measures to keep people safe," including allowing unlimited unpaid leave time for employees who feel uncomfortable working.

Amazon says its decision on whether to close a warehouse for cleaning or for how long depends on where the sick workers were in the building, for how long, how long ago and other assessments. The company has also temporarily raised its pay by $2 an hour through April.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Amazon Workers Strike ...

With so many people unemployed, amazon should fire the strikers...if they can.  Let people who normally work minimum wage go to amazon for more. Amazon is such a habit, I doubt they would be damaged by striking workers. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

Amazon has said it intends to hire thousands of workers, so let the unemployed migrate to their portals.  It's hard, fast work so maybe they're not flocking.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@esmerelda

Excuse me. Fire who. Have I read it correctly Cov19 kills people. It will kill more young people, because they makeup a large portion of the population.

The workers at this warehouse want the facility properly cleaned,  protective gear, and hazzard pay. I believe Amazon is providing some extra money.

Amazon is not losing any money during this time. They will makes Billions from this crisis. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624  It’s true it isn’t for everyone. You can’t be on your phone checking Facebook all the time. Or posting to Internet forms. You have to actually work.  And with an extension to unemployment benefits and additional money on top of that, why would anybody who lost a job last week and isn’t working today apply?

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@Nuttmeg  They’ve been offered unpaid leave. If I felt unsafe at work and could take unpaid leave, that’s what I would do. Extra money would not make me feel safer.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@Kachina624  It’s true it isn’t for everyone. You can’t be on your phone checking Facebook all the time. Or posting to Internet forms. You have to actually work.  And with an extension to unemployment benefits and additional money on top of that, why would anybody who lost a job last week and isn’t working today apply?

@esmerelda    That was my experience while working in and managing state employment service offices and administering the Unemployment Insurance Fund for 32 years.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@Nuttmeg  They’ve been offered unpaid leave. If I felt unsafe at work and could take unpaid leave, that’s what I would do. Extra money would not make me feel safer.

Most folks need a job, and their options are limited.

Amazon can find a better way.