Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@wagirl.    I was on Amazon yesterday and had one item to check out.  I hit continue and the next step was selecting their credit card and I could not move forward without selecting it (I don't think so).  I closed that window and made my purchase on EBay.  Yes, very tricky.  It is a real turn off to keep seeing info. on their credit card.  Looks like they lost a customer.  Cat Mad

@Katcat1  You definitely don't have to sign up for Amazon's credit card when checking out.  It's an option at the top of the page, but you don't have to choose it.  I use Amazon pretty much weekly and don't have their credit card.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

I have been an Amazon Prime member since day one and have my membership charged automatically every year.  I have ALWAYS gotten an email notifiying me that the charge was going to be made before it happened -- with plenty of time to cancel if I wanted to.

Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon Store card alertl

[ Edited ]

@Alexa6352 wrote:

A few Months ago I signed up for the 30 day trial Prime Membership..I wasn't paying attention and apparently the 30 days were up..BUT did I get a NOTICE from Amazon..NO..so when I get my Amazon CC Bill,on it is $107..charge for PRIME MEMBERSHIP..I say what is this..I call them and they say..well,you didn't tell us to not do this...I say you send me a ZILLION E-MAILS about everything under the sun and you don't send me one about this? Sure they don't..AMAZON IS A SCAM as far as I am concerned..Sorry all you Amazon lovers..I am done with them

I signed up for the free 30 day trial of Prime.  I got an e-mail a few days before my free trial was up.  I was already aware of the trial running out because as marked the dates on my calendar.

IMO, it is MY responsibility to keep tract of any free trails that I sign up for and to cancel before it become permanent if at don't wish to continue.

i was surprised that Amazon sent the reminder.  We kept Prime.  My DH loves the movies and it is less expensive than Netflix plus there are other perks.

I have an Amazon CC but carry no balance on it.  I have never noticed any change or unwanted charges.

Honored Contributor

@NickNackI assumed it was an annual fee -  sort of like a charge for having the card.  Even annually, it's a lot of money for something that you didn't even realize you wanted or needed!

I wouldn't do either -  the insurance or a fee to use any one's charge card. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon Store card alertl

@Carmie  I'm not in love with Amazon, but for the most part, I don't think they're scammers.

Any time you sign up for a trial period, there's a statement that you have to cancel before the 30 days are up to avoid having the annual fee charged.

One thing I'll be curious about, though, is how easy you find it to get the charge reversed when you drop out of Prime.  I've never seen that discussed, but I have seen many complaints about other companies that offer something "free" for a month and then they make it nearly impossible to back out.  Now THAT would tick me off!

When I dropped Prime, I did it at the end of my year's membership and it was easily done.  For that, I'll give Amazon a point.

Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon Store card alert

[ Edited ]

@millieshops wrote:

@NickNackI assumed it was an annual fee -  sort of like a charge for having the card.  Even annually, it's a lot of money for something that you didn't even realize you wanted or needed!

I wouldn't do either -  the insurance or a fee to use any one's charge card. 

@millieshops  It sounded like she was saying she got this charge every month, not once a year.  That's the way I understood it, but I may have misunderstood.  It certainly makes more sense that it was once a year.

Edited to say:  I just went back and read her original post again.  She says that she went through her past years statements and on each of them there was the $50 charge.  I took that to mean on each statement of the past year.  I'm sure you're correct and she meant the past years' statements since 2014, not the past year's statements.  Thanks for the correction.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the heads up but I've never had a problem with my Amazon cards. If any charges are made to them, I get an email notification.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack,   Yesterday, the first thing that popped up when I was signing out was the option to choose their credit card; however, I continued and checked my address and continued and it popped up again.  I was unable to continue unless I selected their credit card.  May have been a bug in the system so I ended up closing out.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@NickNack,   Yesterday, the first thing that popped up when I was signing out was the option to choose their credit card; however, I continued and checked my address and continued and it popped up again.  I was unable to continue unless I selected their credit card.  May have been a bug in the system so I ended up closing out.

@Katcat1  That's really strange.  I've never had a pop up of the credit card.  It's always just at the top of the check out page but not as a pop up.  That's not something that normally happens though.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I have Amazon Store card and never had the charge either.

As for signing up for the free Trial Membership I do recall it stating that if I do not cancel prior to the 30-day mark I will be charged for the membership - which I did want.

I love Amazon but like with anything you need to pay attention with ANY card/service and make sure you read the print.

Also - I have options of what card I want to pay with and I do not always choose the Store Card - it lets me click the button on whichever card that I would like to use.

You have to select what card is your default card also. It isn't always the company trying to trick us but we have to have more personal responsibility on what we read and pay attention too..and also what is selected.