Occasional Contributor

Re: Amazon Prime Membership..... $72.00 tomorrow only

The is a special offer because:

In honor of Transparent's wins at the 72nd Golden Globe awards, we are offering new customers a year of Prime for $72* — today only, January 24th. This special Prime offer includes thousands of streaming movies and TV shows, plus benefits of a Prime membership, like FREE Two-Day Shipping, Prime Music, Prime Photos and more.

If you're not ready to join Prime but would like to watch this award-winning show, you can stream the entire first season of Transparent free — today only, January 24th. The show depicts an LA family with serious boundary issues and was this year's winner for "Best TV Series, Comedy or Musical" and "Best Performance by an Actor in a Comedy or Musical TV Series".
*New members only. See details and sign up.

If you have a edu. email address (as most college students do) there is a special program for them.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/24/2015 szip said:

The is a special offer because:

In honor of Transparent's wins at the 72nd Golden Globe awards, we are offering new customers a year of Prime for $72* — today only, January 24th. This special Prime offer includes thousands of streaming movies and TV shows, plus benefits of a Prime membership, like FREE Two-Day Shipping, Prime Music, Prime Photos and more.

If you're not ready to join Prime but would like to watch this award-winning show, you can stream the entire first season of Transparent free — today only, January 24th. The show depicts an LA family with serious boundary issues and was this year's winner for "Best TV Series, Comedy or Musical" and "Best Performance by an Actor in a Comedy or Musical TV Series".
*New members only. See details and sign up.

If you have a edu. email address (as most college students do) there is a special program for them.

And, it's only for the first year .."After your first year, your Prime membership will renew for $99/year."

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Valued Contributor

On 1/24/2015 adelle38 said:
On 1/24/2015 milly said:
On 1/24/2015 qvcaddition said: Not fair to us old members. I,m going to e mail them about it. They are good about refunds.

I emailed as they just renewed my membership last week. Basically was told they couldn't do anything. I wrote back next year I was cancelling and waiting for a promotion. I think if they get enough complaints might change their mind.

I know that many companies offer promotions to "new customers" and I don't understand complaints about Amazon doing the same. You didn't find the price "unfair" when you subscribed so why is it unfair now?

It's kind of "rich" I am being chastised for complaining about the pricing. People are gaming the system to get people added for free to their accounts. And I guess no one ever gets a price adjustment for a lower price offered. Usually this is done within a 2 week time frame. Well, my account they automatically renewed a week ago. But thanks for pointing out that it isn't unfair.

Valued Contributor

thank you so much. i just ordered this for my bff for her birthday. she'll be so happy.

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?" Hillel
Honored Contributor

On 1/24/2015 rolen said:

To all those who mention Amazon prime, but do not have it - I found something very interesting last fall. One of my sons got Amazon Prime. He uses the free shipping, the Kindle, videos, etc. He emailed me a few days after he got it and asked if I would be interested in getting the free shipping aspect of Prime for free. OF COURSE, I said. I had always wanted it, but did not want to pay for it. He said he discovered that he could give the Free shipping (regular and FREE two day shipping) to 4 others since he was the main Prime member. He sent me 'an invitation' to join and I replied. I now have the free shipping (I used it SO much over Christmas). He thinks I will have my Free Shipping for as long as he pays for the main Prime service.

So, if you know someone who has Prime, have them check this out. It is a wonderful extra for everyone.

I found this to further explain the deal:

Amazon Prime's free 2-day shipping changes your buying life, enough so that you start feeling bad for your loved ones waiting out standard shipments. Until you poke around in your Amazon account settings and give up to four "household members" free Prime shipping.

It's not a secret, but it is not totally known about either. Head to Your Account then, once signed in go to - Manage Prime membership. There you'll see your Prime membership status, scroll down a bit and look for "Invite a household member."

You need to provide a name, email address, relation, and a birthday for each member. When they move to activate the Prime benefits, they'll need to know your own birthday. There's no real "household" requirement, though, and your friends or roommates can still fit, if they don't mind being your "brother/sister." Your Prime sharing only extends the free two-day shipping to relatives and friends, not the Prime video or Kindle book benefits, but nobody should be complaining when you grant them a much better online shopping experience.

I've been on my sons Prime membership for quite a few years now. Enjoying all the Prime benefits without spending a dime!

"Pure Michigan"
Super Contributor

The sharing of the prime shipping rates is for household members, not family members. It clearly states in the terms and conditions that you must be living in the same household. "Free or paid Amazon Prime members can share their shipping benefits with up to four additional family members living in the same household. If you purchase a Prime membership for a small business, you may invite up to four co-workers to shop with this corporate account. Other Amazon Prime membership benefits such as Prime Instant Video, Prime Music, and the Kindle Owners' Lending Library can't be shared."

Esteemed Contributor

I also didn't think it was fair that they were offering $72 Prime membership to new members only, so I called yesterday. I told her I just renewed in December, but she said there's nothing she can do, because it's a promotion for new members only. I thanked her and hung up.

A few hours later I received a call from the same women I'd spoken to. She said that she's giving me a one-time $27 courtesy credit for the difference in price. You could have knocked me over!

It was a lovely surprise, especially since I had no idea they'd do anything.

Miracles do happen {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

Amazon has always been good about credits. I had a bad kindle.They got me an upgrade and a credit of $30 to get a new cover to fit the new one. I joined yesterday. I order a good bit.
Respected Contributor

On 1/24/2015 chickenbutt said:

The thing with adding people to your account is supposed to be family members in the same household. I think a lot of people are cheating the system and that was one big reason they ended up increasing the price for all of us.

As for this promo - it's just a promo offering a lower price for the first year for NEW members. Everybody does that sort of thing. It doesn't mean they are cheating everybody else. When I started back with Prime I got a $59 promo price for the first year and that was several years ago.

Exactly!!! New customer here...I paid $72 yesterday. Thank you BaileyandBella

Valued Contributor

On 1/25/2015 sunala said:

I also didn't think it was fair that they were offering $72 Prime membership to new members only, so I called yesterday. I told her I just renewed in December, but she said there's nothing she can do, because it's a promotion for new members only. I thanked her and hung up.

A few hours later I received a call from the same women I'd spoken to. She said that she's giving me a one-time $27 courtesy credit for the difference in price. You could have knocked me over!

It was a lovely surprise, especially since I had no idea they'd do anything.

Miracles do happen {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I received the credit as well. My auto renewal was just a week ago.