Respected Contributor

Re: Amazon Is About to Transform How You Buy Groceries

I think most people would prefer to pick out their own produce but that doesn't mean there aren't times when delivery might be very helpful.  Obviously to shut-ins and people with physical limitations, but some people live in cities where they don't own a car and don't have the ability to load up their car with groceries and drive that home.  Maybe they would choose to take a cab or uber home but delivery would be a viable option as well as a convenience for a busy working person.

Personally, I live within walking distance to both Trader Joe's and Whole Foods (which has excellent quality here and while expensive on some things, very reasonable on others).  I've used Safeway delivery in the past when I was home recovering from back surgery and couldn't lift heavy bags of groceries.  Was it perfect?  No, but a lifesaver when I couldn't do it myself and I was glad to have it available.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

We were down with a virus twice in the last year or so and used the Safeway delivery service for food.  Each time there were multiple mistakes.  We'd call to report as suggested and they always took it off of the credit card charge, but still... they should have tighter controls.

When I had surgery a few years ago, I used Safeway delivery a couple of times.  I also had mistakes and/or items they did not send.      I wonder how some of this is going to work out for seniors (like me), disabled, etc. who do not use a computer.   I do a lot of online ordering for clothing, my prescriptions, household items, gifts, etc., but I have friends who do not use a computer at all.

Honored Contributor

Walmart has already transformed the way I buy groceries.  I put my order in online from a list of just about everything in the store.  Choose a time the next day for pickup, pay for my order.  At my chosen time I go to the store, park in a designated area, call a number to tell them I've arrived and they bring my order out and put it in the car. 

I haven't been in the store since October.   The whole round trip takes me less than 30 minutes.  I only live a mile from the store.  I just got home from picking up my order.  It's 100° outside so I'm glad I only had to expend minimal energy. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Somebody mentioned about getting superior produce.  I've noticed that with Walmart too.  They cherry pick the produce before it goes to the floor so I get the nicest, unblemished fruit and veggies. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a disabled friend whose life is made so much easier by home-delivery groceries.  But I won't buy fruit and produce unless I can look closely at the quality.  The same is true of meats and especially fish.  Things for the pantry?  I already often buy them at Amazon.

I like salt-free Hunt's ketchup, which has (y'know) no salt.  The
"salt-free" Heinz ketchup has what they call a "salt substitute" that tastes like crystallized Formica to me. My Publix, a smaller store, says they are not allowed to carry anything but Heinz.

So I get my ketchup in shrink wraps of three, for cheaper than Publix, free delivery, on Amazon. 

I will never go to delivery for fresh foods.  If there isn't source any nearby, I will move somewhere else where there is.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I am almost 62 and changing things up like not shopping for my own groceries is something I would not go into quickly.   I am VERY VERY choosy and picky. Dates  on packaging is hugely important to me you know that they are going to send out the oldest products first. 

I will not take part in this for a long time......yet, that is what I also said  about Amazon prime and their auto ship program and now I am a part of that.  It gets addicting having things made easier for you. 🤗

Amazon's auto-delivery program is great.  Others could learn from it.   I save 15% on each item, no shipping cost, timely deliveries, customization (you can choose from every 1 month to every 6 months AND revise it when you need to), and Amazon's stellar customer service, of course.

I use it for necessity items more than anything - dog food (I save $15 to $20 a month over what I paid at PetSmart), paper goods (tp & paper towels), and other necessity items.   

@chickenbutt  Are their prices on paper towels and TP cheaper than Costco?

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Somebody mentioned about getting superior produce.  I've noticed that with Walmart too.  They cherry pick the produce before it goes to the floor so I get the nicest, unblemished fruit and veggies. 

I didn't know Walmart did this. I went online and my local stores don't offer this service.

Respected Contributor

Couldn't they have waited until I go to the great beyond?

Respected Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

You see, we live in "Semi-Rural Outer Slobovia".  We have to make a 20-30 mile one-way drive to a grocery store.  And, we actualy go to 2 different stores to get better products.  I'll look at what Amazon has to offer and see if it makes sense for us.

cats01...love your description of where you live...I think we must be neighbors.

Esteemed Contributor

Amazon is not trying to appeal to older generation.  They are and WILL appeal to the millenials and Gen Y's of today.  They do everything electronically.  Most use their phone to navigate every aspect of their lives.

If you come along for the ride, Amazon won't turn down your money!  But they're not doing it for you or me.....

*Call Tyrone*