Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon Is About to Transform How You Buy Groceries

@kitcat51 wrote:

No change for me, I don't use Amazon. I shop local meat store, grocery store & farmers market, always have & always will.

@kitcat51  Yes.....but the shopping environment may change....there will be no local little guy....they will go out of business......can not compete.....that is the sad part of all of this Amazon.....

Honored Contributor

SeaMaiden wrote:

I am almost 62 and changing things up like not shopping for my own groceries is something I would not go into quickly.   I am VERY VERY choosy and picky. Dates  on packaging is hugely important to me you know that they are going to send out the oldest products first. 

I will not take part in this for a long time......yet, that is what I also said  about Amazon prime and their auto ship program and now I am a part of that.  It gets addicting having things made easier for you. 🤗

Amazon's auto-delivery program is great.  Others could learn from it.   I save 15% on each item, no shipping cost, timely deliveries, customization (you can choose from every 1 month to every 6 months AND revise it when you need to), and Amazon's stellar customer service, of course.

I use it for necessity items more than anything - dog food (I save $15 to $20 a month over what I paid at PetSmart), paper goods (tp & paper towels), and other necessity items.   

Respected Contributor

Unless one is disabled or living in Arizona, I would think having groceries delivered would make one the consummate couch potato.  

Honored Contributor

if i were to do this i would do it locally.....from our local grocery stores. most of them offer this service.....delivery or pickup.  i dont really have a need for the amazon service at this time.

i do enjoy grocery shopping, especially when i am not in a hurry. i like seeing whats new. i like picking out the best looking fruits, vegetables, lunch meats, beef/pork/chicken. i want to choose a milk that has the furthest out date on it. i also do some of my moms grocery shopping for her.

if i CANT get to the grocery store, then i send one of my daughters.

at this point we have lots of options for getting groceries, so amazon wont be one of them anytime soon.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Regular Contributor

Well lets see how this goes First I go and pick up my order which I hear from some maybe 10 minutes or so from home.......well thats too hard lets have it delivered to the house but wait  its too much of an effort to put up so will you come into my  home and put it up for me and by the way  you can fix me a sandwich while your here.. and maybe just go ahead and feed me.......Oh gee what am I going to do about gas for the car they haven't come up for a solution for that problem. This was talked about the other morning on cable and said its perfect for people who do not want to interact with other people at all. Really sad to think about.....When I can no longer shop because of health this will be a choice I might have to take....

Esteemed Contributor

@truffle wrote:

Unless one is disabled or living in Arizona, I would think having groceries delivered would make one the consummate couch potato.  

That's quite a stretch!

Having groceries delivered can free people up to work more hours to support their families, care for an elderly parent, spend time with their kids, volunteer at soup kitchens and hospitals, attend their children's soccer games, etc,  It also could free up some time for an overworked person to actually sit down and read a book or just relax.

It also could save money on gas.  For people on limited and fixed incomes, that is a very big deal.

If it's a option that you find so distasteful, then don't take advantage of it.  But there are many people whose lives would be at least a bit easier.  And by no stretch of the imagination are they all disabled or living in Arizona.

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Choices are always good, of course.  I love Amazon and even do purchase some food products there.  As for my general grocery shopping, however, they won't likely affect how I carry that out.

There are so many things for which I would have to make my own choices, based on the obvious aspects of produce/meat/fresh products AND making sure I am copacetic with 'use by' dates on prepared (canned, etc) and dairy products.   

But, again, choices are great because everybody has their own personal needs so I'm glad that there are more choices.  Smiley Happy

My thoughts exactly!

I don't love grocery shopping, but I do like to choose my own fruits, veggies, etc, and I'm pretty serious about reading ingredients, expiration dates, etc.  I also like to see what's new and I like to see when items that I like become available in different varieties.

A few years ago I was recuperating from a serious injury.  My kids were too young to drive and I had no local friends or family, so I hired a guy who ran a small grocery delivery service.  It was wonderful, and I don't know what I would have done without it. 

So yes, it's nice to have choices.  I don't think anyone has to choose a side.  It's not either/or.  We can use any and all options at any time.  I plan to continue to shop myself, but for sure I would have groceries delivered if I thought it would be helpful at the time.

Honored Contributor

We were down with a virus twice in the last year or so and used the Safeway delivery service for food.  Each time there were multiple mistakes.  We'd call to report as suggested and they always took it off of the credit card charge, but still... they should have tighter controls.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've said numerous times how much I hate grocery shopping. After raising four kids, I've put my time in so to speak lol. It's nice having a choice of who to select my groceries from, right now I use Wal-Mart for non perishables and Peapod for fresh food. No problems so far but I still go in the stores for seafood and produce. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

I think grocery delivery is great! I'm all for it. Before my child went to college, I shopped for my elderly mother's groceries, which at times became difficult with work, graduate classes, and being a single parent of a child in high school. A local chain started delivering from online  orders. My mom enjoyed choosing her groceries, and I didn't have to worry as much. But, the grocer stopped the online service after 2 years. When my child went to college in Manhattan, NY, I bought non-perishable groceries, toiletries, & laundry supplies from Walmart .com. (I live on the west coast.) Locally, I was back to weekly shopping for my mother until she died last summer. The shopping gave me the chance to maintain and clean her apartment every Saturday, but I would have liked visiting with her more than grocery shopping. A friend of mine from FL and I have seen how our parents were able to do less and less, and when we think about future retirement we consider our future needs. I think Jeff Bezos did a very smart thing. Baby Boomers are growing in age and will likely welcome the ease and convenience, as will college students, working parents, and others.