Honored Contributor

Amazon Is About to Transform How You Buy Groceries

This is an excellent article that explains the future for grocery shopping....

https://www.wired.com/story/amazon-whole-foods-acquisition-grocery-shopping?mbid=nl_61617_p3&CNDID=1...

Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon Is About to Transform How You Buy Groceries

Just from what I've heard, it sounds interesting.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

The is already here for me.  Amazon's Prime Now has a good selection of groceries and produce that they deliver in 2-hour window.  There's Amazon Fresh and I use that sometimes but delivery is 2 or 3 days.  I do my regular grocery shopping online with Peapod.  They don't have same day service but I get next day deliver and I have access to everything in the grocery store.  I think Amazon will expand it's Prime Now grocery options, now that it has so many grocery stores.  I also think Amazon with offer and expedited grocery shopping option in those stores.  Peapod lets us order online and pick up at the store, I believe they bring it right to the car.  I think Amazon will offer that in the stores and shoppers will pay through their Amazon accounts.  With technology, the sky's the limit.  Anything we can imagine, Amazon will do.  And others will follow.  Just as malls are dying....I think we're seeing the beginning of the end of the grocery shopping as we know it.

Honored Contributor

I enjoy going grocery shopping.Esp. in the wonderful open air markets we have in Florida or the huge farmers markets in Pa. once they open. I wouldn't like grocery delivery.

However, I certainly can understand the value of it for some people, and if we still lived up north in the winter I would appreciate it .

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

This is an excellent article that explains the future for grocery shopping....

https://www.wired.com/story/amazon-whole-foods-acquisition-grocery-shopping?mbid=nl_61617_p3&CNDID=1...

@SeaMaiden

Our grocery store chain, HEB, already offers this option the customer sends a grocery list to the store through an APP and then you pick it up they call it Curbside service, OR you can have them deliver it to your home--same day delivery.  It's convenient but what is the cost of the convenience and is it worth it to the customer.....It seems that food prices go up every week and I can only imagine what this service will add to grocery bills.  But especially the home delivery does seem great for those that have health issues and arent mobile, or those that have busy schedules and don't have time to shop, or for people that no longer drive....etc etc.  

My sis was thinking about the delivery option for heavy things like her 30 lbs of cat litter, and for a friend that buys the huge bags of dog food etc............And some folks on the Forum have already mentioned they do have Amazon deliver heavy items to their door already..........

The negatives on this new way to grocery shop is you might miss out on sales or new products that are brought out.......and currently no coupons.  ....I dont think Whole Foods has many special deals but other grocery store chains do...will be interesting to see how this all works out........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

For the past year I've been shopping online at Walmart's website for my son who is in college.  Mostly I've used Walmart for his groceries (soup, snacks, cereal, laundry supplies, toiletries, etc.).    They have free 2-day delivery if the order is over $35.  They deliver right to his dorm--so easy!  He also has an Amazon Prime account to order other things, but I don't think he's used it for groceries.  

I haven't tried to order groceries online for myself.  I still prefer to go to the store and see what I'm getting. We don't have a Whole Foods nearby, so not sure how Amazon's new acquisition will affect those around here.

Respected Contributor

You see, we live in "Semi-Rural Outer Slobovia".  We have to make a 20-30 mile one-way drive to a grocery store.  And, we actualy go to 2 different stores to get better products.  I'll look at what Amazon has to offer and see if it makes sense for us.

Respected Contributor

So who is going to choose my corn with the smaller kernels I like?  Or check the expiration dates to be sure I get the freshesst available?  How can I be sure to get celery that is absolutely crisp instead of growing a wee bit limp?  How will I be able to see the new items available? 

I can see that getting sale prices will work, as they will be advertised.  I guess large bags of bird seed, or other heavy items might be nice, but currently my family picks up the heavy things for me.

We have a relatively new Whole Foods nearby.  I went there once and chose a few pre-cooked items and salad. I wasn't very pleased with what I got- the taste wasn't great. Haven't been back there since and it's been over a year.  Not sure I am going to be a customer.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Is Amazon going to change the food items in Whole Foods? Not everyone eats that type of food or can afford it. I need to see the meat and produce I buy.

Honored Contributor

I don't know. I've tried the "order groceries and have them delivered" and the "order groceries and have them ready for you" and EACH time there has been wrong items, left out items, poor quality items in my order. This means MORE time, money and effort or MY part; that doesn't help me any way.

Whole Foods has never impressed me. Nor does Wegmans. Trader Joe's is eh to me. I have all of them plus more in a 5 miles radius and I still do the bulk of my shopping at Costco, Walmart and my local Farmers Market. Whole Foods, in case many have forgotten, is #1 in food recalls for their own items. I wouldn't touch their deli/pre-made foods with a 10-foot pole.

Is ordering items and having them delivered convenient? Oh yeah. When I was at the Mayo Clinic, we were staying in a long-term stay hotel which offered this service. Loved it but you were made aware that they ONLY purchased top of the line items/produce and would be charged accordingly. Never had an issue but it was $$$$.

One thing I've always wondered about: My local grocer had VERY poor quality corn the past few weeks; they all did due to a bad crop. However, my neighbor ordered corn from them and had it delivered; FANTASTIC ears of corn. She commented that maybe they keep the GOOD stuff in the back for those that order vs what they sell on the floor. 

My experience as well as my in-laws have been the opposite; horrible produce to the point we had to return it.

Hmmm....kinda like getting half of the fries when you drive through vs a full fry when you walk in because your eyes are on them. Until all the kinks are worked out, I'll just do my own shopping.