Esteemed Contributor

Amazon HQ2 announcement probable this month

[ Edited ]

Per today's Washington Post the Amazon HQ2 announcement is imminent and it's probable that Crystal City is it.  A big real estate company is pulling major properties off the market and Amazon wants HQ2 up and running in 2019.  As a former DC Suburbanite, I say Yeah!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Amazon HQ2 announcement probable this month

This bidding war for tax breaks is sure taking longer than I expected.

Honored Contributor

I’ve never heard of Crystal City but I’m ignorant of the DC area.
Respected Contributor

i'm sorry Detroit didn't make final list.  Amazon could have done a lot to rehabilitate a depressed area - and that, i think, should have been the reason to give tax incentives.

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe not in our lifetime, but someday Washington DC may be renamed Bezos, DC.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

As present denizens of the D.C. suburbs, we are hoping Crystal City is passed over.  Traffic in that area is horrible now! 

I worked in C.C. in 1970.  So long ago.  I took two buses from Georgetown to get there.  First bus stopped at the Old Post Office; then I picked up the second bus that took me to C.C.

I have never been within C.C. since leaving that job.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@patbz wrote:

Per today's Washington Post the Amazon HQ2 announcement is imminent and it's probable that Crystal City is it.  A big real estate company is pulling major properties off the market and Amazon wants HQ2 up and running in 2019.  As a former DC Suburbanite, I say Yeah!

Couldn't disagree more. I grew up in Wash DC...The entire VA-DC-MD region has been over-developed. The traffic has become the worst in the country. The cost of homes and property taxes have sky rocketed  so only the wealthy can afford most of the area. AMAZON HQS in Crystal City will add another layer of congestion to an already traffic nightmare during rush hour!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Amazon hasn't announced anything yet so, we'll wait until they do but it's been a long time coming.  I think every city that has been in contention and I don't remember a Crystal City has been reading tea leaves for months.  This is a sign,that is sign.  Boston is finalist, there was some excitement at first but many people are now saying they don't want it.  Jobs are not a problem here, Greater Boston has a booming economy and the fear is that a flood of new people coming into the area to work for Amazon would drive rents up in the surrounding cities and towns. At first it was "I hope they come here!" and now it's  "I don't think we need Amazon".   And then there's the traffic situation.     

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Don't know why they would ever pick a place like Crystal City.  Time will tell.  Northern VA makes much more sense, especially to the western side.  I think Raleigh, NC is more likely.

Honored Contributor

I'm in Northern Virginia, but I always felt that because Amazon hires young people, that they wanted to be near the subway.

He wanted this too quickly, otherwise I think there may have been an opportunity for them to build a subway extension on his dime.  However those take years to put in place.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN