Respected Contributor

Amazon Go Grocery Store Opening near me. Anyone gone to one before?

[ Edited ]

Okay...I actually had to look this one up!  Though I am a Prime member of Amazon, I had never heard of Amazon Go Grocery Store.  From what I'm reading, all you have to do is enter the store, buy what you want from an amazingly, well stocked grocery store with a lot of amenities.  Everything is calculated as you put it in your cart.  When you're done, you simply leave the store.  No lines to wait in, no cashiers to wait on you.  Your Amazon account is charged and you receive a receipt. 

Anyone here have any near them that they have used?  This store is about one month away from opening.  

UPDATE:  Just re-reading the article and it is an Amazon Fresh not Amazon Go.  opening here. 

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon Go Grocery Store Opening near me. Anyone gone to one before?

We are getting an Amazon Fresh in our town.

From what I'm reading it will kind of be the same as far as calculating what you put in the cart but I don't know if it will be charged to your Amazon account.

Esteemed Contributor

I have trust issues. There are so many times where I see a price advertised, but it rings up differently. The Target in my area being a frequent abuser of charging an incorrect price at the cash register.

Based on my experience alone, I would not trust the system to accurately charge me for my items. 

Respected Contributor

are there amazon stores in illinios?i always thought you had to order online

Honored Contributor

Does it show you the tally as you shop? I like to keep to a semblance of a budget. The concept is all well and good but I don't need to get home only to realize I somehow accidentally spent $200 on frozen food.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

Does it show you the tally as you shop? I like to keep to a semblance of a budget. The concept is all well and good but I don't need to get home only to realize I somehow accidentally spent $200 on frozen food.

@Porcelain Yes, from what I read as you put the items in the cart it tallies it on a screen located on your cart.  If you decide you don't want an item as you take it out of your cart, it deducts the amount as well.  So, yes, it itemizes your items and keeps a balance of what you owe as you shop.

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Super Contributor

This is interesting. Do you have to insert your credit card before you start shopping?
How is your Amazon account charged?

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

They opened one recently near us in Franconia, VA and someone did a YouTube video on it. It looked really cool and we're eager to try it - just haven't been able to tear ourselves away from the pool now that it's hot out. According to the video, the young woman logged into her Amazon account on her phone first, then inserted it into a slot on the cart's handle. This allows the cart to scan your items as you put them in the bags in your cart. When you're finished, you indicate that and can go on your merry way. 

We also noticed what looked like conventional cashier stations in the video. It looked like they had "greeters" at the store's entrance and staff to help you if needed. DH got excited because they also have a section for Amazon pick-ups and returns (he handles all online purchase returns). We can't wait to try it, so maybe we'll get there on a rainy day later this week. 

Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella ---living near Seattle--those stores have been around for a few years now--never been to one as I live a ways away but would love to try one out.

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds good to me.  Much better than the current systems.