Esteemed Contributor

Just today my brother told me an Amazon delivery guy put his package on top of his garbage can which was out front for pickup!  He got to it in time for it not be taken with the garbage.  He called Amazon and told them about it.  They told him the charges for that order would be waived for his inconvenience!  It was a $60 order.  That's the reason Amazon rules the world.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

@FLGators wrote:

Amazons interview for potential employees is focused mainly on their Leadership principles. Guess what tops the list during their behavioral interviews - Customer Obsession. The more your answers are focused on Customer Obsession, the better your chances are on scoring a coveted Amazon job. This is not for just their CS but the employees at all levels.

Some sample questions

“There are many ways to center a business. You can be competitor focused, you can be product focused, you can be technology focused, you can be business model focused, and there are more. But in my view, obsessive customer focus is by far the most protective of Day 1 vitality.” - Jeff Bezos

This is how they have created a monopoly. Its tough to catch up & small businesses just cannot. 

@FLGators 

I agree, but customer obsession didn't start at Amazon.  It was Walmart's founder Sam Walton most important focus in 1962 when it was founded.  That continues today.

There are other retailers that put customers first, as well, and have been doing so for a long time.

Esteemed Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

@FLGators wrote:

Amazons interview for potential employees is focused mainly on their Leadership principles. Guess what tops the list during their behavioral interviews - Customer Obsession. The more your answers are focused on Customer Obsession, the better your chances are on scoring a coveted Amazon job. This is not for just their CS but the employees at all levels.

Some sample questions

“There are many ways to center a business. You can be competitor focused, you can be product focused, you can be technology focused, you can be business model focused, and there are more. But in my view, obsessive customer focus is by far the most protective of Day 1 vitality.” - Jeff Bezos

This is how they have created a monopoly. Its tough to catch up & small businesses just cannot. 

@FLGators 

I agree, but customer obsession didn't start at Amazon.  It was Walmart's founder Sam Walton most important focus in 1962 when it was founded.  

There are other retailers that put customers first, as well, and have been doing so for a long time.

That continues today.

Not at my Wal-Mart.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

@FLGators 

I agree, but customer obsession didn't start at Amazon.  It was Walmart's founder Sam Walton most important focus in 1962 when it was founded.  

That continues today.

Not at my Wal-Mart.

@MoJoV

Since Amazon doesn't have big box stores, comparing one (your) Walmart store that is subject to location and available qualified employees, to Amazon in that respect isn't quite fair, is it?

None of the big box stores are known for falling all over their customers and I doubt Amazon stores would if they had any. Helpful employees running around equal higher prices.  

All of them do have CS departments, though where customers can go if they need something.

However, online ordering, shipping, and CS policies, are fair game.