Esteemed Contributor

As seniors living in an outlying suburban area, we certainly get our money’s worth from Amazon Prime.  The vast array of goods is amazing, and deliveries are to our front door.  We have also ordered from Target and sometimes Walmart with no issues.  Even when the virus issue is behind us, driving all over for routine shopping is not how we want to spend our time.

For those of us concerned about small businesses, many are represented on the Amazon site.  

Honored Contributor

My city is getting an Amazon distribution center build soon. That means I'll get my stuff really fast! WOO-HOO! 

Esteemed Contributor

I love all things Amazon Prime. Music, movies, ordering just about everything. Even if somethings cost a bit more, it's better than going out to pick it up these days.

I wish they'd provide internet. I'd consider streaming.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

I would still comparison shop if I were you..... Even an Amazon Exec admitted that they count on people thinking that Amazon always has the lowest price, which isnt alway the case (even he admitted that).....

Sorry Ive had problems with 3rd party vendors using "bait and switch" advertising and picturing a named brand but sending me a piece of junk...and my negative review was deleted too....  And don't store credit cards on their site either, they have had security issues (confirmed with the bank who holds the card)....my CC was hacked... Its not the shopping paradise people think it is....  And keep in mind as Amazon drives out other businesses, the less choices mean they can charge what they want, so expect higher prices due to less competition...

I have survived quite nicely without Amazon....

@Spurt I fairly recently saw a news story about 2 women who started a business and put up a shop on Amazon to sell their item.  Pretty soon other overseas companies started to knock-off their item, undercutting them on the price and even using the women's photos and exact wording to sell their inferior product and Amazon wouldn't do a thing about it.  It really hurt their business.

I've gotten some really stupid counterfeit items from Amazon you would never think would be counterfeit.  One of them was Amlactin!  I learned that one of the way you can tell if the product is counterfeit or the wonderful reviews are bogus is if you see a ton of 5 star reviews then a couple of 1 star following by more glowing reviews followed by a 1 star.    

Trusted Contributor

Trusted Contributor

@deeva wrote:

I'm a Prime member too. But for several years now, Amazon's prices are no longer competitive. I find much lower prices locally and at Walmart or Target online. 
I agree with LipstickDiva. Fake reviews and counterfeit merchandise is a big problem for Amazon. 

@deeva , How do you know they are "fake" reviews?  

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I do my fair share of Amazon shopping but you have to beware of Amazon.  Do some research about what goes on with selling on Amazon.  The fake reviews, the counterfeit items, etc.   

Agreed. While Amazon is amazing and has been a true life saver in so many ways, there are down sides. Not even getting into what their success has meant and will continue to mean for other retailers, I'm keenly aware of a fair amount of price gouging going on with some of their third party vendors... Unfortunately, given the vastness of the enterprise, it appears too often it isn't addressed... And, though I could be wrong, it sometimes seems that prices, even for items fulfilled by Amazon, are highly sensitive to, shall we say, the laws of supply and demand, with an awful lot of price variability and fluctuation being the case... I would also note that while Amazon often offers a good price, as others have noted, their prices aren't always the best available...

@stevieb , I have noticed that anytime an "influencer" mentions a product from Amazon, you can bet the price will skyrocket as people flock to purchase.

Fairly recently I happened to be watching one such person's Amazon favorites video and she mentioned buying a Physician's Formula bronzer on Amazon for $5.00.  This is a bronzer that in the store is in the $13.00 range unless you catch a sale.  I started to read the comments and sure enough, people were saying that the bronzer had gone up to $12.00.  As soon as she said the bronzer was $5.00, I wondered if it was fake because that price was almost too good to be true.

Honored Contributor

@Silver Fox1 wrote:

@deeva wrote:

I'm a Prime member too. But for several years now, Amazon's prices are no longer competitive. I find much lower prices locally and at Walmart or Target online. 
I agree with LipstickDiva. Fake reviews and counterfeit merchandise is a big problem for Amazon. 

@deeva , How do you know they are "fake" reviews?  

@Silver Fox1 , Google Amazon and fake reviews.  There are many articles and a video explaining all of this.  Amazon knows it's a problem.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

I would still comparison shop if I were you..... Even an Amazon Exec admitted that they count on people thinking that Amazon always has the lowest price, which isnt alway the case (even he admitted that).....

Sorry Ive had problems with 3rd party vendors using "bait and switch" advertising and picturing a named brand but sending me a piece of junk...and my negative review was deleted too....  And don't store credit cards on their site either, they have had security issues (confirmed with the bank who holds the card)....my CC was hacked... Its not the shopping paradise people think it is....  And keep in mind as Amazon drives out other businesses, the less choices mean they can charge what they want, so expect higher prices due to less competition...

@Spurt I fairly recently saw a news story about 2 women who started a business and put up a shop on Amazon to sell their item.  Pretty soon other overseas companies started to knock-off their item, undercutting them on the price and even using the women's photos and exact wording to sell their inferior product and Amazon wouldn't do a thing about it.  It really hurt their business.

I've gotten some really stupid counterfeit items from Amazon you would never think would be counterfeit.  One of them was Amlactin!  I learned that one of the way you can tell if the product is counterfeit or the wonderful reviews are bogus is if you see a ton of 5 star reviews then a couple of 1 star following by more glowing reviews followed by a 1 star.    

@Lipstickdiva 

Yep, Amazon is doing nothing about these 3rd party counterfeiters....the guy I had to deal with, I checked and he's still selling on Amazon.... They dont care about the customer gettting the quality product they thought they were paying for......

And your right, too many 5 star reviews(with many using the exact same phrasing raises a flag.)...  

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Spurt    I am sure many people feel this way. It is good to see another prespective!