Honored Contributor

Amazing Pic of The Queen and Philip at 1953 Coronation

Chris Barham captured this famous image of the Queen and Prince Philip on Coronation Day

It was a photo that encapsulated the joy of Coronation Day.

Photographer Chris Barham, who has died aged 87, captured this image of the Queen and Prince Philip on their way to Westminster Abbey in their carriage on June 2, 1953.

Mr Barham, who went on to work at the Daily Mail for 30 years, later revealed that he managed to take the picture only after convincing police officers along the route that he was working on the Queen’s orders.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Amazing Pic of The Queen and Philip at 1953 Coronation

Lovely photo.  She has certainly had an amazing reign, and she strikes me as a very strong woman.  

I know this is, in large part, an American perspective, but I wonder, is this very long life, that's she's had, and has, the life she would have truly chosen, was being Queen her first choice, and hearts greatest desire?

When I see articles about the royal family, I often read, "he has done his duty, so well, she works hard and always does her duty". 

To me, a lifetime of doing your duty, doesn't necessarily equate, with a lifetime of happiness. But, that's me.  

For all the great wealth and privilege, the prestige and power, the lifestyle, seems so dogmatic and regimented, so restrictive and tradition and rule bound. 

I would So miss the freedom, and I'd hate the endless scrutiny, in the fishbowl. 

But, that's what being a Yankee, will do to you. 
I hope she's found great joy and pride,in her crown, and her family and country! 

Respected Contributor

Your post made me think of reading about when Elizabeth and her younger sister Margaret were young and their father was King.  A young Margaret asked her sister if she will be queen to which Elizabeth replied, "yes, someday".  Margaret then answered  "poor you!"   Guess it is much easier being the younger sib in a royal family, not having all the responsibility of being monarch.  Same with Harry as he's free to do as he likes, unlike William.

Honored Contributor

Great photo @KingstonsMom.  My opinion is that William has no regrets being the first born and loves the life he leads now and the journey to come.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom 

What a marveous photo.

Both so young!  What lives they've led!

Just fascinating that it's been so public, but yet, so private.

Honored Contributor

And it's amazing that she has done so well when her father was not raised to be king.

Thank God he was king or heaven knows what would have happened to Great Britain under his brother who was friendly with Hitler and an anti-Semite..

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

And it's amazing that she has done so well when her father was not raised to be king.

Thank God he was king or heaven knows what would have happened to Great Britain under his brother who was friendly with Hitler and an anti-Semite..

I read Hitler thought Queen Elizabeth I was the most dangerous woman in Europe.  Her Strong Will.  When she did the speech that the King would never leave Britain during WWII and she and the children would never leave the King.  Said that scared him to have a woman in a power position with a Strong Will.  Proved right in this case the second born was a better choice for leader.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

Lovely photo. The actors they got to play the prince on “The Crown” were well cast as they both look like him in his younger years.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead