Respected Contributor

Amazing - Notre Dame/Paris Open Briefly for Small Good Friday Commemoration Today

Although still damaged and scarred by fire, Notre-Dame cathedral came back to life as a centre for prayer in a Paris locked down against the coronavirus.

Just days before the first anniversary of the April 15, 2019 fire that ravaged the beloved Paris landmark, the French capital's archbishop led Good Friday celebrations unlike any others that have gone before inside the centuries-old jewel of Gothic architecture.

Archbishop Michel Aupetit was to venerate a crown of thorns that survived the flames that brought down the cathedral's roof and spire and horrified Parisians and people across the world.

Prayers, readings and music were to be part of the Friday morning ceremony, but no crowds. With the cathedral closed to the public, only a tiny handful of people took part in the proceedings, which were broadcast live.

The plans for the altered ceremony reflect the ways Christians are commemorating the holy day without the larger church services or emotional processions of past years, marking Good Friday in a world locked down by the coronavirus pandemic.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Amazing - Notre Dame/Paris Open Briefly for Small Good Friday Commemoration Today

That fire was absolutely heartbreaking.  I had been to Paris a few times and visited Notre Dame on each visit.  Last visit was in July 2018 and I am so glad I decided to go on the trip.  It was a trip to visit some family members and I really was not sure I had wanted to go.  I had a hospital stay in March and April previously and thought I should probably not go but I am so glad I did.  Hope I can take another visit in the future.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Amazing - Notre Dame/Paris Open Briefly for Small Good Friday Commemoration Today

[ Edited ]

@naturalfan  i bet you are glad you made that decision.  what an awful thing that fire was. i'll be interested to see how they are able to handle the reconstruction.

Valued Contributor

I visited Paris a few weeks after the fire and it was so sad to see the cathedral and to not hear the bells ringing.  The whole area was surrounded by high walls so you couldn't see anything except the top of the building where the dome used to be.  The only bright spot was the garden center they had erected just north of the plaza.  Beautiful flowers and plants to walk around.  

Honored Contributor

I'm surprised they'd allow anyone inside.  At one time they were unsure if the building was stable and safe enough for the construction workers.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment