Honored Contributor

Re: Amateur justice for Porch Pirates

@SharkE.  I've wondered that about the UPS drivers too.  Someone on our neighborhood app saw a pickup truck with packages in the bed trailing a UPS truck.   When she walked out to get the license #, it drove off.  She called the police.  How come the UPS driver didn't see it?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Because they are focused on getting the packages delivered.

You know that their deliveries are timed, right, and that their bosses want them to go faster tomorrow, than they were today?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ditto for telemarketers.  They know who you are and may well know your address.  Proceed with caution retaliating against these people. 

Honored Contributor

I had a kid in an suv deliver my package yesterday. He had a UPS shirt on which looked new(had to sign for delivery) so I noticed. Before I got to the door after first knock, he ran back to the car for something and then knocked again.

To me he was Christmas help, not a permanent driver. He seemed a bit lost with what to do so I’m sure he was so busy concentrating on the job he wouldn’t have seen anyone following him.

Now a regular driver would be a different story, although they would be just as busy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

Yes, it's good the police are tackling home crimes, as they should,

but a little common sense on the part of the homeowner is

greatly appreciated.

Many of those same police departments are giving tips to prevent

home package thefts:

• Have your package delivered to your work.
  • Have your package delivered to the home of a relative or friend that you know will be home.
  • Have your package held at your local post office for pickup.
  • Take advantage of “Ship to Store” option that many stores offer. Amazon offers a "locker" feature that allows you to pick up your package from a secure location.
  • Request that your package has signature confirmation upon delivery.
  • Ask your carrier to place package in an area out of plain view.

Another tip for AFTER you receive your delivery

(or after Christmas),

*Don't* set boxes out for garbage pickup.

That announces to HOME robbers what new devices you

just received.  

Old-classic home-protection tips which need to be mentioned 

often, especially this time of year. 

Frequent Contributor

UPS drivers CAN see if they are being followed..I asked my own UPS driver this question. He said he has been followed several times. I dont understand why they cannot pull over and call police with license number, at least..That could help in further investigations of stolen items.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think these drivers are on such a ticking clock, that they aren't capable of multitasking. They drive like crazy, jump out and throw packages, then repeat, again, and again.  

I think there could be a darn camel standing in the middle of the street and they'd zoom around it, not taking in the moment, but being angry for any delays. So it doesn't surprise me they might not notice someone following them. They're working with tunnel vision.   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BlueFinch 

I had an opportunity to question a UPS driver about his job, while we were both waiting on a high-rise building elevator.  (I'm always curious about what people do and don't mind asking, because I always learn something.)

When a UPS driver's truck gets loaded at the warehouse or depot, he/she is expected to work until that truck is empty, no matter how many hours into the evening this might require to deliver all the packages.

They run into traffic problems and other sources of delay just like the rest of us, and you can imagine how full those trucks probably are at this time of year.  They  have many long days on the job.

Honored Contributor

My latest UPS delivery in the past few weeks has been 10:00PM.  I feel for the drivers, however, my reg UPS guy is a vet.  He's unflabbable.  Said since being shot at during his duties, not much bothers him these days.

Respected Contributor

@silkyk wrote:

I would think twice before "punking" a porch pirate......he knows where you live.

If they're brazen enough to steal from your porch, they are brazen enough to be vindictive.