Respected Contributor

Amateur justice for Porch Pirates

[ Edited ]

Just look up the info that has appeared on national TV news this morning, complete with video.

Key words for your search might be porch pirate Glitter Bomb and/or Stink Bomb.

Honored Contributor

Re: Amateur justice for Porch Pirates

[ Edited ]

Last year my neighbor had a package stolen from her porch. I have never had a problem so far, but I am able to retrieve most things that come, very soon after delivery. My neighbor was  not   able to, and that is why she was robbed.

I think society is going through quite an unfortunate spell   of people  doing things  like this ,that were not commonly done  a few years ago..

Esteemed Contributor

Police in one of the counties near me are setting out "fake" packages with trackers. Hope they catch every last one of them. 

Honored Contributor

I saw on our local news where a lady had packages stolen from her porch.  She now saves her Amazon boxes and boxes up her trash and used kitty litter, sets them out on her porch.  The trash boxes have been stolen twice.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

In a neighborhood very close to mine, a home video helped police nab a porch thief just a few days ago.

Nice to see that happen.

Honored Contributor

Yes, it's good the police are tackling home crimes, as they should,

but a little common sense on the part of the homeowner is

greatly appreciated.

Many of those same police departments are giving tips to prevent

home package thefts:

• Have your package delivered to your work.
  • Have your package delivered to the home of a relative or friend that you know will be home.
  • Have your package held at your local post office for pickup.
  • Take advantage of “Ship to Store” option that many stores offer. Amazon offers a "locker" feature that allows you to pick up your package from a secure location.
  • Request that your package has signature confirmation upon delivery.
  • Ask your carrier to place package in an area out of plain view.
Honored Contributor

I read about a man who put horse ***t in a box and left it out and laughed his own *ss off.

Nobody has time to steal from us I know what's coming from Informed Delivery and I'm at the window ,watching, and as soon as mail person drives off I'm half way down the driveway.

wonder how the UPS drivers don't know they're being tailed ? Always wondered about that.

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Yes, it's good the police are tackling home crimes, as they should,

but a little common sense on the part of the homeowner is

greatly appreciated.

Many of those same police departments are giving tips to prevent

home package thefts:

• Have your package delivered to your work.
  • Have your package delivered to the home of a relative or friend that you know will be home.
  • Have your package held at your local post office for pickup.
  • Take advantage of “Ship to Store” option that many stores offer. Amazon offers a "locker" feature that allows you to pick up your package from a secure location.
  • Request that your package has signature confirmation upon delivery.
  • Ask your carrier to place package in an area out of plain view.

The majority of these tips are great for most of the year, but during the holiday shopping season I see issues when billions of packages are being sent. Where I worked we weren't allowed to have personal mail delivered to our mailroom.  I am sure most post offices don't have the capacity to hold packages, same with Ship to Store.  Requires space and employee to manage.  Requesting signature confirmation slows down the delivery process if receiver is not home.  

This whole situation is just disgusting.  I hope those caught and charged  are not just getting off easy.

Respected Contributor

I would think twice before "punking" a porch pirate......he knows where you live.

Honored Contributor

@silkyk wrote:

I would think twice before "punking" a porch pirate......he knows where you live.

THIS☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️
Reposting for emphasis!