Contributor

Re: Am I the only one who hates traveling?

I love to travel. But I do understand, esp. if you still work, like I do. That you need a vacation from the vaction to get back on track to get ready for work.  I do like to leave at least a day buffer from coming back from vacation to do laundry, grocery shop and get my mind in work mode. So I like to come back either on a Friday or Saturday to start back ready for Monday morning. 

I understand people might not have the money for a vacation or their health is not what is used to be. So leaving the house is hard if you are ill or not mobile. I understand that. 

This is my view point. But to be a homebody is not healthy.  I know people that won't leave a 10 mile radus of their house. I am not even talking older people (like over 80), I am talking people in their 40's - 70's, young people.  A good day trip or even a ride around to get out the out is not that big of a deal (or to me it is not)

Respected Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

I just don't understand the "flying is such a hassle" comments. I really don't. How, exactly, is it such a hassle? And please don't answer if you haven't been on an airplane in 20 years. There have been security screenings for as long as I can remember, even pre 9/11 and they included walking thru the scanner and the potential for a patdown. It's really nothing new or different.  So you can't bring a giant Slurpee thru the checkpoint. Buy it afterwards. I lock my checked luggage. I just have to make sure it's a TSA approved lock. Smaller seats on the airplane? Pffft. It's not smaller seats. It's bigger people. A 737 has always been 2-2 upfront and 3-3 in coach. Same with a 757 and every other aircraft. LCC's like Allegiant and Spirit cram them in because people want cheap tickets, but the next generation slimline seats provide more legroom. No meals? They're not edible most of the time. You're buying transportation, not making a fine dining reservation.  Bad fellow passengers? Depends on your definition of "bad". In over 1 million butt-in-seat miles flown, I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times that a fellow passenger was really a problem.  It's all in what you decide the experience is going to be and how you react to the unexpected. 

@FrostyBabe1   Because TSA at Philadelphia International (the airport that I fly out of most often) has real attitude.  They aren't pleasant at all. It freaks me out a bit when they hold me up looking through my carry-on as my handbag is sailing through to the end of the conveyor belt.....I don't like it sitting there ripe for grabbing.  

I tend to fly a few times a year.  I go visit my mother in Florida by myself and feel that it's easier to travel with someone.  An example....the time I had spent a month visiting mom and got to the airport with plenty of time to spare to go back home.  My flight with Frontier (will never fly them again) was cancelled due to "mechanical issues". 

I had to go down to baggage claim and get my bags.  Since I had gone for a month I had an extra suitcase.  Then I had to go get in another line to see if I could get a ticket to get back home...of course since I was by myself and had to get my bags first I ended up in the back of the line.  It took me 4 hours waiting in line to finally get the last ticket available on a fight that would bring me home at midnight.  Then I needed to make my way to a different terminal.

I spent more than 12 hours at the airport that day...and it's not the only time I spend more time than I would like at the airport!

As for the seats, I'm no taller now than I was in my 20s.  Today the seats are so tight that my knees (I'm short BTW) are almost touching the back of the seat in front of me. It didin't used to be that way.  I feel for a tall person and have seen how some tall people have to sit.

I'm going to Fl again soon and not looking forward to the airport experience.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a fan of the TSA (for reasons which would get this poofed in a heartbeat), but "attitude" is such awfully subjective label. Kind of like judging figure skating. One person's "attitude" is another person's "operating efficiently".  If your carry-on is getting searched every time that you fly, I'd be asking what it is that's causing them to do that and if you don't get a satisfactory answer, I'd follow up with a formal complaint. I have no problem insisting that my possessions stay in my sight at all times, and haven't received any pushback when doing so. I had an encounter at LGA where they told me that they were taking my rollerboard to another room to look through it. I refused. Not the bag search. I refused to let them search through it without me being present. They found a way to search it in front of me. 

Delays and cancellations happen. They've happened since the beginning of air travel. There's no guarantee that everything is going to go perfectly every time and I've had some doozies.  As you found out, when you choose to fly a LCC such as Frontier, resolving those becomes more difficult because they don't have interline agreements with other carriers so 95% of the time you're stuck waiting until they have a seat available to your destination. 

I'm 5'5". I can easily fit in a coach seat on any mainline aircraft on the legacy carriers and still cross my legs easily. It's not my first choice of seat, and fortunately I'm up front 99% of the time, but I can do it. 

Clearly, everyone has their own, differing level of tolerance and expectations. Mine is different than yours and seemingly many others, but that's okay. I wish you safe and happy travels. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

No-- I am not crazy about traveling  either. Flying is the worst for me--hate everythng about it---

Esteemed Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

I just don't understand the "flying is such a hassle" comments. I really don't. How, exactly, is it such a hassle? And please don't answer if you haven't been on an airplane in 20 years. There have been security screenings for as long as I can remember, even pre 9/11 and they included walking thru the scanner and the potential for a patdown. It's really nothing new or different.  So you can't bring a giant Slurpee thru the checkpoint. Buy it afterwards. I lock my checked luggage. I just have to make sure it's a TSA approved lock. Smaller seats on the airplane? Pffft. It's not smaller seats. It's bigger people. A 737 has always been 2-2 upfront and 3-3 in coach. Same with a 757 and every other aircraft. LCC's like Allegiant and Spirit cram them in because people want cheap tickets, but the next generation slimline seats provide more legroom. No meals? They're not edible most of the time. You're buying transportation, not making a fine dining reservation.  Bad fellow passengers? Depends on your definition of "bad". In over 1 million butt-in-seat miles flown, I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times that a fellow passenger was really a problem.  It's all in what you decide the experience is going to be and how you react to the unexpected. 

Seat size has been getting smaller as has the pitch of seats.  Airlines want to add more seats so this is how they do it.  

Respected Contributor

I still llike to travel--went to Japan last May and am going to Britain in April.

The plane part of the journey isn't fun.  But walking into a different world at the end of an airport jetway?   Amazing.

I like staying home, too, and it's usually hard for me to rip up my roots when I am departing on a longer trip.  The last 12 hours are tough.

I know I will miss my serene highness, my rescue cat, and I worry about her when I've gone.  Though I have a pet sitter who is wonderful. 

Respected Contributor

@haddon9   Go for it!  The trip was so organized, with all museum, and other site tickets already purchased in advance (the guide told me that they have to buy the tickets almost a year in advance),  and many of the sites we got in without having to stand in line.  Some of the sites (to see the statue of David, the Vatican, and the Coliseum) had about 4 hour wait times in lines, and we went in through side entrances missing waiting in line because the Rick Steve's tour had special arrangements.  We stayed at nice independent hotels and the service at every hotel was exceptional since those hotels and restaurants get a lot of business from his tours. 

I can honestly say that I had no complaints or suggestions to make the tour better.  All transportation was included and all tickets, and meals with the group were all included, and no need to tip.   The tour guide was so helpful telling us what to look out for, what to see, where to get cash safely, etc..  

We had plenty of time on our own to explore if we wanted to. Any future trips to Europe will only be done through Rick Steves.  I can't say enough good things about the entire experience.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

I am 52 years old and I have traveled a lot. I really enjoy going to new places, and countries. I am always surprised when I hear of people that have never been on a plane or traveled. 

I will be leaving for Australia in three months for a two week vacation and I have to say the older that I get the more the getting to the destination (airports, planes, transportation) part annoys me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

What is it about travel that you don't like?  I'd find a happy medium, I don't think I could be so selfish as to just say NO to a husband who wants to have fun and enjoy life....with his wife.  If it's flying you don't like, perhaps you could find some fun on Amtrak or drive.  

@chrystaltree 

I asked her the same thing and made suggestions .....  crickets.  Why start a thread if you don't want to talk about it?   JMO

Honored Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@haddon9   Go for it!  The trip was so organized, with all museum, and other site tickets already purchased in advance (the guide told me that they have to buy the tickets almost a year in advance),  and many of the sites we got in without having to stand in line.  Some of the sites (to see the statue of David, the Vatican, and the Coliseum) had about 4 hour wait times in lines, and we went in through side entrances missing waiting in line because the Rick Steve's tour had special arrangements.  We stayed at nice independent hotels and the service at every hotel was exceptional since those hotels and restaurants get a lot of business from his tours. 

I can honestly say that I had no complaints or suggestions to make the tour better.  All transportation was included and all tickets, and meals with the group were all included, and no need to tip.   The tour guide was so helpful telling us what to look out for, what to see, where to get cash safely, etc..  

We had plenty of time on our own to explore if we wanted to. Any future trips to Europe will only be done through Rick Steves.  I can't say enough good things about the entire experience.

@CAcableGirl2   I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it so much you'll only use Rick Steves. Thanks so much for your review ..... I am looking forward to the trip in Spain which will be here before you know it! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I don’t like traveling.  It’s a pain and I never sleep right when I’m away from home.  I find driving and flying stressful.