Valued Contributor

Re: Am I the only one who hates traveling?

[ Edited ]

@bonappetit wrote:

Travel 1st class in airplanes and stay at 5 star hotels. Hire a private tour guide. You'll renew your love of travelSmiley Happy

Actually, I have traveled first class and stayed at a couple of 5 star resorts over the years. It hasn't changed my opinion of travel. As a few others have stated in their posts - I enjoy some of the destinations, but the travel part prevents me from enjoying the experience any longer.

Esteemed Contributor

I love to travel, but don't like long layovers, and going through customs. The extra security  "frisk down" at the TSA checkpoint when the x-ray goes off, is not the highlight of my trip either. LOL

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Esteemed Contributor

It can be a hassel but the end result is definitely worth it.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

The older I get the more I prefer Road Trips! I really enjoy those..Hubby and I an dour daughters when they were younger and living at home did a fair amount of traveling by plane and loved it and really went to some nice, fun places, but for some reason now I enjoy the Road trips!!!!! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love to take road trips in the car, especially in the mountains, but IMO, air travel has become a nightmare.  Don't care if I never fly again.   I guess I will since it's the only way to visit my relatives in Pa., but I won't like it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Still love it, but now I go at my own pace.  Break long hauls and arrive early to rest up.  Can't rack up the miles on foot like I used to do.

Dying en route might be be even better than being shot by a jealous wife, no?  At least you lived to the end. 🤣

Honored Contributor

I don't hate it, I'd just rather stay home.

Esteemed Contributor

I flew once. In 1995, my best friend moved to Florida. She said if I wanted to see her I had to get on a plane. In a moment of insanity, I detest heights,  I booked a ticket and off I went.  Alone. 

Scranton to Philly and then Fort Myers. This was 25 years ago and I still remember the 3 kids behind me who kicked my seat the whole way.  Samantha, Michael and Jeffrey. Grandparents were across the aisle from them.

Coming back hit bad weather from Philly to Scranton. I had a death grip on the leg of the man next to me at one point. I did apologize to him. I almost kissed the ground when we landed.  Never again. 

Long lines, being patted down, charged for every little thing, crammed in a flying gas can with a bunch of strangers at 35,000 ft. up, nope, nope and h*ll no.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bonappetit  Completely agree!   DH and I love to travel and we did a lot of it when we were in our 30s, 40s and 50s and very happy we did it then and flying in what I call "steerage" didn't bother us.  Now, fortunately, we have the means to fly first class domestically and business class internationally.  Otherwise, we wouldn't be flying.  Makes a BIG difference.  

Would like to take more trains but Amtrak needs a lot of improvement.  

"The World is a book and those who do not travel read only a page."

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I quit air Tavel many years ago. We do motorhome travel now which we enjoy and average about ten days to two weeks.

The traffic of course is a challenge sometimes but we take our time . I am a home body at heart and stress about pre travel preparations but enjoy it once we get underway.