Valued Contributor

Am I the only one who hates traveling?

I used to enjoy traveling when I was younger, but now that I'm older (in my 60's) I don't enjoy it at all. I think having to travel so much when I was younger has caused me to become a huge homebody. DH, on the other hand, adores traveling and wants to stay on the go all the time. So far, I've been pretty lucky, because his best friend also loves to travel, so they do quite a bit together. Lately, though, DH has been pushing me to travel more. I really don't want to. Anyone else hate traveling as much as I do?

Honored Contributor

Re: Am I the only one who hates traveling?

These days plane travel is a hassle but I still love it. I start my travel prep about two weeks before, filling all of the small cosmetic bottles and matching clothes and making sure I have just the right amount and not to much. 

Hubby is not a good packer one year he took a pair of white sneakers, only thing the shoes were from two different pairs

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love new destinations, but I hate the actual traveling piece. The airport gets harder and harder to deal with every year, packing restrictions get worse, and the airlines continue to provide fewer services for more money.

But once I'm at my destination, I love exploring new places, visiting my family in familiar places, and doing new or different things I don't have an opportunity to do at home.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nope! I love to travel and I prefer to do it alone.  Travel was a huge part of my job, so if I didn't go, I wouldn't have been employed. The nice thing now is that I'm not doing 5 cities in 4 days. I go someplace and stay for awhile. 

I can pack for a two week trip in a carry-on and be ready to go in an hour. Air travel is only a hassle if you let it be. Being in a new place, meeting new people and having new experiences is well worth any tiny inconvenience. 

Life is too short to just sit at home. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

I don't "hate" traveling, but prefer to stay at home.  If I must travel, I prefer to go by train or

car.

Honored Contributor

I love traveling ....as long it is not economy class air.  Awful how the seats are so cramped that your legs can't stretch....a 13 hour flight is an exercise in endurance.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My dad and I have traveled a lot in the last five years, and I wouldn't go on half those trips if I had a do over, but yeah, it's not as fun as it used to be.  If I outlive him, I want to take a week somewhere quiet with a view, but planes and long road trips?  No.  Luckily I have everything I want in north Georgia and North Carolina.  I could spend two weeks a year in WNC (western NC) for the rest of my life and still be left not knowing enough about the area.

From now on I'll be renting a car one week out of the month and driving around like a maniac.  

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Esteemed Contributor

@Ladylaughsalot 

Not sure I can say I hate it, but I surely don't look forward to it.  I do hate flying, so that doesn't help Cat LOL

Like you, I used to love traveling when I was younger, and even took flying lessons in high school.  I also interviewed for a flight attendant with American Airlines (didn't get the job).

As time went on, however, I found myself worrying endlessly about the "what ifs" when I  left home.

Thankfully, my husband still works and feels much the same as I do.  So, there is no conflict about when and if we will travel.

For me, there's no place like home!

Trusted Contributor

i hear ya! i detest traveling. like you, i enjoyed it when i was younger. now, i find it such a chore and just way too much work. i'm oc, so when staying in a hotel, i practically clean the room and bathroom every single day. it's not fun at all. when we fly, i clean all around me. even packing and unpacking are things i don't even want to think of. lol! oh, and btw, we're going to travel overseas next month. yeah, can't wait. ugh. 

Honored Contributor

@Alison Wonderland   Totally agree....love the destination not the journey (if by air).