Esteemed Contributor

Re: Am I the only one who hates my picture being taken?

I'm there with you, as I'm not much to look at. I make myself up as much as I can and dress well, but still don't like my looks.

Before retiring last year, I worked for a huge organization that was constantly bringing VIPs through my training center, which required photos all-the-time. I'm even on YouTube. Yikes!

My dear Grandmother was the same way. Maybe I got the gene.

Respected Contributor

I hate it because I dread seeing what I probably really look like.

Respected Contributor

No, I don't like it either and do my best to avoid it. If I were OP, I'd have done the same.

Honored Contributor

Oh boy, that's something I just HATE .... ever since I was a kid! {#emotions_dlg.angry}

And WHY do people think they are entitled to take pictures of you any time they want? {#emotions_dlg.angry}

I used to let myself be talked into it and always felt bad afterwards .... I still don't know why, but I no longer give in to jackazzzzzes who want to take photos of everyone for no good reason?

If I can't quietly slip away (which I'm very good at), I just leave. Why do anything that makes you feel so uncomfortable? {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Valued Contributor

I would not like this either. You know it will be plastered on their website. I Think it should be mandatory to get someone's permission before taking/using their picture to be shown to the public.

Trusted Contributor

My teenagers.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Years ago, my sister and I use to avoid the camera. As we have gotten on up in years, we started to realize that there aren't many years left for us - so now we have a different perspective about picture taking. Have you heard of the 'photo bomb'? Well , when there is a picture being taken now, we love to step in, tilt out head and wave lovingly to the camera. We are immortalized forever ! I have pictures of my great grandmother and grandfather who were born in 1850's. How grateful I am to them for having taken the time to have those pictures made. One day, I hope my descendants will feel the same way.

Trusted Contributor

Many people don't like having their picture taken -- especially without their consent and without an opportunity to primp or reject the photo opportunity. Especially in a work situation, I'd say you have every right to decline to be in a photograph, and anyone who would publish your photo without your knowledge or consent is probably walking a problematic line.

Occasional Contributor

Let me tell you what having my picture does to me..over the summer I was at the house of my sons prom date and somehow I got in the background of a picture. The mother posted it on facebook and when I saw it I was in tears for days. It sent me into some terrible self esteem downfall that continues to this day. I need to lose weight so of course I looked heavy and distorted. When you see yourself in a mirror its totally different than when you see yourself in a photo. Now I have become obsessed with taking photos of myself with my phone daily because I cant stand what I look like. I probably need help for this. I hate what I look liked in pictures and if anyone tries to take one I become very nasty insisting none be taken.

Its an awful thing im going through. I wonder if I look as bad in person as I do in photos, I see something totally different in the mirror.

Trusted Contributor

I don't mind candid photographs but I hate posing for photographs because I'm nervous & self conscious about how I look so the photograph never turns out well.