Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

It was strange the mods let posters congratulate the rainbow ruling, but posters couldn't say they don't agree with it,

Certain positions are ok, others? Not so much. This is not new with this crazy change, it has been like that the many double digit years I have been posting here. Moderators may change, but what is ok, and what isn't has always been a constant on this BB. Violate the Standards a certain way and threads move on. Step in with an opposing opinion and an individual post is gone, or maybe even the thread.---------When I was a hockey Ref for several decades I strived for consistancy. Sure players/coaches and fans may not agree with your calls, but as long as the calls were consistant, and for both teams playing, that was all they wanted to see from a Ref. Here? I have seen things that go on and on, while others that appeared more in compliance with The Standards, not so much.-----------Many opinionated threads/posts stand while others disappear, anc I don't expect to see ig ever change here.----------hckynut(john)

Yes John, only certain stances are 'allowed'.  Most understand that quite clearly thank you very much.

Esteemed Contributor

terrier3 wrote:

Those other issues are all part of the same thing, IMO - no matter WHAT the topic. You are right - it could be about puppies & rainbows.

It's a small, yet vocal group, who time and again make everything PERSONAL. They are personally offended by someone or something, so they respond personally - insulting and dredging up stuff - and also ASSUMING things about posters that aren't true.

I posted a Dilbert thread from a recent Sunday. He met the famous "troll" - who would always take a comment and extrapolate it to the extreme....and then rip someone to shreds over absurd opinions.

I honestly think the moderators are weeding out those types of personal comments and hopefully they will soon be few and far between.

If people think they are being censored...they need to carefully think through what they are posting and why.

I'm not acquainted with Dilbert, but the scenario sounds very familiar! Facepalm animated emoticon  And altough I know many wouldn't agree with me,  I'm very glad the moderators are on the job!

Honored Contributor
More accurately, only certain *standards* are allowed.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

Re: Am I in a time warp???

[ Edited ]

Precisely.  To say that only your opinion is right and only your side "gets it" is an insult to the rest of America and at the very least childish.  The ruling on the "rainbow issue" for example, still remains a split down the middle issue with only one man, one individual, Justice Kennedy breaking the tie.  Does that mean the rest of Americans who still feel strongly against, all of a sudden, turn into robots and lose their rights, their opinions?  Are those Americans all of a sudden wrong simply because they disagree with a ruling made by one individual.  It's one thing to respect the law quite another to denounce your personal beleifs and censor your opinions because they are not the flavor of the day.

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.

-Rumi
Honored Contributor

@NUNYA wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@NUNYA wrote:

But for the mods to allow the thread... how can it not be political or religiously geared if that's one 's belief?

I understand it was a celebration thread, but to allow it to stand without every opinion being valued, it seemed more like baiting, than the usual interesting views here we have all come to expect.

Those days are over, I suppose.

JMO

Nunya,

I think you are still missing the point. The mods instructed that thread be only celebratory. Their house. Their rules. Another thread for opposing viewpoints was started and stood for a while. People were free to give their opinions on that one and it stayed until it got rancorous. The point is, the opposing view thread WAS ALLOWED.

Perhaps I am. I just think every opinion makes this place interesting. That's all.

I may not agree with them but the directive to only post a certain way is laughable and unrealistic.

Honored Contributor

@kittymomNC wrote:

@terrier3 wrote:

Those other issues are all part of the same thing, IMO - no matter WHAT the topic. You are right - it could be about puppies & rainbows.

It's a small, yet vocal group, who time and again make everything PERSONAL. They are personally offended by someone or something, so they respond personally - insulting and dredging up stuff - and also ASSUMING things about posters that aren't true.

I posted a Dilbert thread from a recent Sunday. He met the famous "troll" - who would always take a comment and extrapolate it to the extreme....and then rip someone to shreds over absurd opinions.

I honestly think the moderators are weeding out those types of personal comments and hopefully they will soon be few and far between.

If people think they are being censored...they need to carefully think through what they are posting and why.

I'm not acquainted with Dilbert, but the scenario sounds very familiar! Facepalm animated emoticon  And altough I know many wouldn't agree with me,  I'm very glad the moderators are on the job!

Here is the Dilbert column...very telling! From June 7th...

http://dilbert.com/strip/2015-06-07

Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

I may not agree with them but the directive to only post a certain way is laughable and unrealistic.

SydneyH - There was NO DIRECTIVE to post a certain way...just not bring religion or politics or the names of politicians into it.

You seem to be ignoring that there were dissenting opinions that remained up on the thread.

I don't know why you refuse to acknowledge that...

Honored Contributor

@Northray wrote:

Precisely.  To say that only your opinion is right and only your side "gets it" is an insult to the rest of America and at the very least childish.  The ruling on the "rainbow issue" for example, still remains a split down the middle issue with only one man, one individual, Justice Kennedy breaking the tie.  Does that mean the rest of Americans who still feel strongly against, all of a sudden, turn into robots and lose their rights, their opinions?  Are those Americans all of a sudden wrong simply because they disagree with a ruling made by one individual.  It's one thing to respect the law quite another to denounce your personal beleifs and censor your opinions because they are not the flavor of the day.

NO ONE said you couldn't dissent. No one said you have to denounce your personal beliefs. The decision iteself had nothing to do with religion at all - it was about civil rights for everyone...that was it.

In fact, you could dissent here on these threads, both on the "pro" thread and the "anti" thread.

They were BOTH closed after too many people refused to follow the moderator's

rules....after REPEATED requests for them to do so.

I think the moderators have been very fair...and they stated very clearly WHY posts were deleted. 

You can always post on your local newspaper, or national sites too if you want more freewheeling discussions.

Honored Contributor
For the - what? Fifteenth time? It's not the disagreement that is not allowed, it is using politics and religion in the disagreement. Very, VERY simple. Posts anywhere that refer to politics and religion are against QVC's standards. Period. Those who insist on injecting those topics WILL be deleted. FAIR is stating an opposing viewpoint - several did. Violating QVC's rules in stating one's viewpoint is not a fair/unfair issue, it's a "but I wanna!" issue.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Northray wrote:

That's what it looks like.  In no way is the entire country behind this ruling......