Honored Contributor

Re: Am I expecting to much from my chriopractors office?

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Sister Golden Hair wrote:

@Mom2Dogs My Dr or his nurse always call me to give results of tests.

If you are in a big city, things may be different.

Your doctor is violating HIPPA privacy guidelines.  

@chrystaltree Some Dr's may use this as an excuse but it isn't true.

Respected Contributor

Why don't you go and get  the report where you had the test done?  I had an MRI  Sat. Morning and picked up my report today.  I set up an appt. with my dr. For middle of Sept.  It's your report, they'll give you a copy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tyak wrote:

Why don't you go and get  the report where you had the test done?  I had an MRI  Sat. Morning and picked up my report today.  I set up an appt. with my dr. For middle of Sept.  It's your report, they'll give you a copy.

Yes, they'll give you a copy, but depending upon the size of the facility, there most likely isn't going to *be* a physical report for up to 4-5 days on the high end. A radiologist has to read the test, and dictate it to be transcribed. Then the transcription needs to be accomplished and turned around. How long that takes depends on several things. When it is available, it is still not a given (again, depending upon size of facility) to be given a report 'on demand' as a walk-in. And it may or may not be free of charge.

Might not be entirely relevant for the OP in this instance, but it's something to keep in mind in general.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Unless a doctor's office says THEY will call me I don't expect them to.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

You are expecting too of the office staff.  You should asked the chiropractor if  you should schedule an appt to discuss the mid results.  Times have changed and clinicians don't discuss test results over the phone.  Call and make an appt or speak directly with the chiropractor.  

I agree.  I don't have a chiropractor, but it's standard procedure in my GP's office to make an appointment to go over test results.  Often further tests are required, or a prescription needs to be given. I don't expect the doctor to have to play phone tag with me to accomplish this. 

Honored Contributor

@Tyak wrote:

It depends.   I believe in some states, there is a delay (maybe a week) between when the Dr gets the results and when they can release them to the patient.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I got a recording a couple years ago from my PA's office but it was her nurse who left devastating news for me. What a shock to play that message back and I broke down and cried. That message should have been told to me directly. It was just another day for them but that message changed my life. I felt it was terribly insensitive.

To make it worse, she delivered the message in a happy, perky voice.  It just seemed inappropriate. 

I feel sad for those of you who have been treated poorly by medical people.  It's hard enough going in, as it is. 

Honored Contributor

@Teddie wrote:
I got a recording a couple years ago from my PA's office but it was her nurse who left devastating news for me. What a shock to play that message back and I broke down and cried. That message should have been told to me directly. It was just another day for them but that message changed my life. I felt it was terribly insensitive.

And this is one of the main reasons it should never happen. The other reason is that only a physician can fully and accurately answer any questions a person might have.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Teddie wrote:

And this is one of the main reasons it should never happen. The other reason is that only a physician can fully and accurately answer any questions a person might have.

Thank you, @Moonchilde. I thought so too and still believe that. 

Honored Contributor

So sorry for your experience.   Hope you had a discussion about it with the PA.   The professionalism of the staff is in direct proportion to the doctors & PAs.    Sloppy at the bottom, sloppy at the top.    I live in a city where the main industry is the health industry.   I've dropped doctors for less than what you experienced.  Competition keeps the better doctors on their toes & in business.

@Teddie wrote:

Just adding--to make it worse, she delivered the message in a happy, perky voice.  It just seemed inappropriate. 

I feel sad for those of you who have been treated poorly by medical people.  It's hard enough going in, as it is.