Esteemed Contributor

Alzheimerz drug approved by FDA

[ Edited ]

The FDA recently approved a new drug for the treatment of Alzheimerz, yet the Cleveland Clinic Health System and Mount Sinai's Health System in NYCwill not be administering it to their patients.  Apparently at the Cleveland Clinic they reviewed the data and did not come to the same conclusions about safety and efficacy.

Glad some of these places are reviewing the data and not just accepting the FDA as the final word with these new drugs.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Re: Alzheimerz drug approved by FDA

@CrazyDaisy  You mean like the Covid vaccine? Myself, I wouldn't be as hesitant with the Alzheimer's drug as my Mom turned into a zombie a few years after being diagnosed with it. It was so bad eventually that I prayed every night she would die. She had no mind left at all. I sometimes see hints of this in myself. I would be willing to take anything no matter what the consequences as they couldn't be any worse than what she went through. JMO of course.

Esteemed Contributor

Priced over $4000  Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@CrazyDaisy  You mean like the Covid vaccine? Myself, I wouldn't be as hesitant with the Alzheimer's drug as my Mom turned into a zombie a few years after being diagnosed with it. It was so bad eventually that I prayed every night she would die. She had no mind left at all. I sometimes see hints of this in myself. I would be willing to take anything no matter what the consequences as they couldn't be any worse than what she went through. JMO of course.

No I was not talking about the covid vaccine.  It is only approved for emergency use.

This treatment has gone through full approval, yet the Cleveland Clinic has some real concerns.  Smaller systems may not take the time to review the data and just administer the drug that does not work or worse unsafe.  At a very high cost I am sure.  Is that something you would be comfortable doing?

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

Priced over $4000  Smiley Sad

Believe that is the monthly cost

Respected Contributor

The head of the Food and Drug Administration has called for a wide-ranging federal investigation into the approval of Biogen’s treatment for Alzheimer’s disease.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

The head of the Food and Drug Administration has called for a wide-ranging federal investigation into the approval of Biogen’s treatment for Alzheimer’s disease.

Thank you for posting this. I thought I had read/heard that information, but was afraid I was mistaken.

Esteemed Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

Will be interesting to see what cones of this.  You would hope that this agency would be above these type issues.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy   Too many possible conclusions to draw to know why Cleveland is not using the drug.  There are so many different iterations of Alheimer's, for example, that it's possible their patients might not really be helped by what the drug might do.  We need their careful investigation, but we also need more info before we draw any conclusions.  Headlines often mislead, but they sell media.

I agrre with @mom2four0418 though --  having been down the Alheimer's path with several family members, I would accept almost anything assuming I knew that disease was already in my system.  

Esteemed Contributor

Aduhelm is being revisited by the FDA. The approval was not warranted. In several studies, no changes were observed, with the possible exception of slightly slowing the progression in very early cases. I am married to someone with Alzheimer's Disease and I can tell you that the odds of being diagnosed that early and accepting that diagnosis are small to nil. In addition to the expense, the side effects of the drug, including brain bleeds, make approval rather ridiculous as well as potentially dangerous. Two FDA doctors resigned as a result of the approval and reputable medical institutions are not going to pay good money after bad.

Patients and their loved ones are desperate. The drugs that have been around for years really don't do much. Some doctors will prescribe the new drug just to do something, anything to deal with this cruel, devastating  disease. Right now, however, there is no cure and no treatment that does anything but buy a tiny bit of time at best.