Respected Contributor

Alway late, Always early, Just on time....What irritates you.

I am always early.   It is not a something I try to do but I just allow extra time.  When I am going somewhere I figure an hour to shower and dress and how much time it takes to drive there.  Usually I am early unless there is a problem with traffic and then I am usually on time.  My sister and most of the friends I have had are the same way.  If we are to meet somewhere we always get there early.  I am not saying this is the best way but I am not someone who can tolerate chronic lateness.  I don't even understand it.  I was the same way when I had a full time job, kids, parents to care for.  My first husband was late to everything so you can imagine how we got along.  With him I think he liked to make a grand entrance and draw attention to himself. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Alway late, Always early, Just on time....What irritates you.

While I'm often on the nearly late side, depending on where I'm going I can be early or just on time also.  My mother always made sure everyone was early - really, really early and that was ridiculous!  I am never late when it really matters though.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chiclet  I'm like you...less stress.  I had a sister who was chronically late to most events.  I got so I would set appointments 15 minutes later than our intended meeting time and she would still be late.  She was such a light and people were drawn to her.  She was also stunningly beautiful and charming.  She exuded self confidence, joy, professionally successful, and had extensive friendships.  I guess we all have our flaws and people were quick to forgive.  Personally, I perceive chronic lateness as a sign of disrespect and, as a result, intentionally arrive early and leave time for the unexpected.  Each of us has our flaws and I work on seeking the beauty, knowing I have my own issues too.

Valued Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

I am always early.   It is not a something I try to do but I just allow extra time.  When I am going somewhere I figure an hour to shower and dress and how much time it takes to drive there.  Usually I am early unless there is a problem with traffic and then I am usually on time.  My sister and most of the friends I have had are the same way.  If we are to meet somewhere we always get there early.  I am not saying this is the best way but I am not someone who can tolerate chronic lateness.  I don't even understand it.  I was the same way when I had a full time job, kids, parents to care for.  My first husband was late to everything so you can imagine how we got along.  With him I think he liked to make a grand entrance and draw attention to himself. 

Your first husband sounds like my ex husband, he always loved making a grand entrance. I however was mortified. I am always early and have something to read. I always tell my children don't be on time, be prepared. Plan for an unexpected traffic ticket or accident...you don't want your employer or people you are meeting to think you can't plan for such events.

Then, my parents love to go to McDonalds....love it. If they hear I have an appt. it's an excuse to go and offer to take me right? So then they show up a half hour late and tell me well nobody ever expects you to be on time dear.

So I stopped telling them about my appointments and take them to McDonalds separately instead and happily sit there while they explain at the register they need 30 sugars and 15 creamers for their coffee. Ohhh, and they need fresh coffee. Then a half hour later they get to their food items, where instead of ordering a normal human burger they will order a small one and proudly tell me they add lettuce, onion and tomato for 15 cents. All of this is in line mind you.

Then when seated they proceed to tell me how much better this is than Starbucks. It's a whole afternoon let me tell you.  Just.To.Be.On.Time.

Honored Contributor

I'm always early.  I absolutely hate being late.

Trusted Contributor

It depends what the occasion is. When people are coming to my home, I don't like them to be early. I do a lot of things right before they come and showing up early throws me off. It's amazing how even 15 minutes makes such a difference.

I never show up early to someone's home. But I'm on time (a little early) for appointments. 

Esteemed Contributor

I am always early and my husband is always ridiculously early.  In my entire working history of 50 years, I was late once which was during a blizzard commuting from NJ to NYC.  However, I was the only who showed up.  I've read that those who are chronically late are seeking attention, maybe not always on a conscious level. 

Respected Contributor

Although late is better than never, I try to be a little early. It's a good idea especially if you get stuck in traffic.

Respected Contributor

I am never early when invited to someone's home.  If necessary I will park down the street and wait.  Nothing bad ever happened to me to make me paranoid about being late but it makes me nervous.   I am going the speed limit or a little above and people fly by me going so fast and weaving in and out of traffic.  I think they must be worried about being late so they want to run over everyone on the road.  I worked at a company that would give you a reward if you were on time every day for three months straight.  It was great for me but I feel being on time to work is a given. 

Respected Contributor

Always late to me is just rude - does the person not know how to tell time?

Always early - just as bad - as your running around in some god forsaken outfit trying to finish cleaning the kitchen that is in complete chaos or deciding that the hall bath toilet really needs to be cleaned!

It does seem that most people do have a pattern when it comes to this - either late or early - I really do not know why...

I go for a fifteen minute window on either side of the designated time. You can never count in for the most recent traffic accidents that just happened  moments ago. But it just takes common sense to check for weather or construction delay updates.

-Texas Hill Country-