Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom   I agree. When I worked DH went out in the dark on winter mornings and cleaned my car off and got it warmed up for me. I, in turn, took him cold drinks when he was doing yardwork in the summer and had something baked w/hot coffee waiting when he plowed/shovled in the winter. We looked out for each other.

Beats any card or box of candy.

Respected Contributor

Good grief, couples can be loving every day of the year & celebrate Valentines Day too. And of course Valentine items are avaliable now, that's how retail works...retailers don't decide when customers buy, customers do...buy now, later or don't.

Valued Contributor
Hershey, PA (original headquarters for Hershey chocolate company) does make a few things still although most I believe is made elsewhere. Fabulous place to visit if you're in the area!

Home Goods 2 weeks ago had Valentines & Easter/Spring stuff out! I've never seen completely bare aisles like that before though 😳. They really didn't have much & probably put out whatever they had.
Honored Contributor

@sometimesQVCaddict wrote:
Hershey, PA (original headquarters for Hershey chocolate company) does make a few things still although most I believe is made elsewhere. Fabulous place to visit if you're in the area!

Home Goods 2 weeks ago had Valentines & Easter/Spring stuff out! I've never seen completely bare aisles like that before though 😳. They really didn't have much & probably put out whatever they had.

Hershey used to have another plant in a small central California town where I lived. It was a fun tour (I like tours like that!), and I got to drive by there on my way to work every day.  You could smell the chocolate and I loved the Hershey Kiss shaped street lights out front.  Smiley Happy

Never been to PA, so I haven't been to that one.   I'm thinking that at least some of their products are now made in Mexico (?). Could be wrong but that's what is stuck in my head.

Honored Contributor

Xmas didn't even get here yet and already they are having us taking things down and putting them away ... give us a chance to at least enjoy the holidays.

Honored Contributor

I used to look forward to post-holiday sales of leftover candy, especially chocolate.  But lately, there's none to be had after Christmas, Valentine's Day, Easter, Halloween, etc.  I suspect stores are boxing up leftovers and returning to manufacturers for credit.  Or they're just better at predicting demand than they used to be.

Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I guess those ships had no trouble coming in....LOL

@Nataliesgramma 

Is there still a Hershey in the United States, and do they make chocolate bars etc.? Probably do not move by ship.

Just a side note. Valentines Day to me is my most important day of the year, and my wife loves chocolate. 

hckynut 

@hckynutjohn   Hershey's is still in PA but also in Canda, Mexico, and several other international locations.  Some of it depends upon what is being manufactured-Hershey is not strictly chocolate.

You have posted your family history regarding St. Valentine's day so I wish you all the best for both situations.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Even though I'm not a chocolate fan, the family is and one of our favorite visits was to Ghirardelli Chocolates in San Francisco, one of DH's favorite chocolate brands

They've been in the chocolate business since 1852 and it smelled so good and the process was so interesting!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@Othereeeen   Lol. Lots of people will start to shop for Hanukkah/Christmas 2022 next week!   They don't let the retailers dictate the best time to buy.

@millieshops   Make that TODAY

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I honestly didn't see a lot of Christmas themed candy this year but then again we only buy one item for each grandchild.  GD also gets a chocolate advent calendar for December.

I also believe that Christmas is what you make of it-shelves stocked with Valentine's candy is not going to ruin your holiday so relax and enjoy your own traditions.

We see this every holiday-and we all know the candy shows up months ahead of a specific holiday.

So when we start seeing Easter candy before Valentine's Day is over-there will be yet another thread about the candy and decorations being out too soon.

This isn't anything new so accept it as it is and enjoy your holidays as you see fit.

(Wait until Christmas in July-that sets hair on fire.  lol)

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh