Honored Contributor

Re: Almost $20 For Two Pens?!

When I left my previous job, my boss bought me a going away gift of a Waterman pen.  I know it was over $100.00.  I was so afraid to use it, I left it at home in a drawer. 

I came home one day and DH was working on our deck and there he was with my Waterman pen outside, marking up his decking boards so he knew where to cut.  The next day that pen came to work with me and I still have it, 17 years later.  

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

lori has several sets of pens available. the ones with reviews have very good ratings. my guess is is that they sell a lot AND with good ratings, there are definitely people buying.....and happy with their purchases.

One of my family members bought one of Lori’s 2-fers last year to give as a gift. I think it was with a neck cord and both were covered in crystals. It was actually a good thought for the recipient, who works in hospitality and catering and is rarely at a desk. A pen-on-the-go is a good idea. BUT - I found them not to my taste (I wouldn’t want one, personally) and I have a suspicion, not to the recipient’s taste either. Bit gaudy for business. And yes, they would be uncomfortable to hold and write with.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

My mother-in-law is an artist who paints and made a living as a calligrapher and illustrator so pens have played a big role in our family. 

I got my daughter a beautiful pen when she graduated college, but for fun I think she'd love the pink & purple set with the crystal hearts and a pretty journal for writing down her thoughts or lyrics to a song. I guess writing can be done with most anything--a Ticonderoga and a scratch paper--but there's something wonderfully satisfying that comes from using lovely instruments.

I like that they have a cushioned grip for comfort so now the only question is do they work well. Thank you @sunshine45 for the reviews comment. If not, QVC has a great return policy. 

@SusieQ_2  @sunshine45  The reviews may be good, but I'm wondering if they wrote them right after receiving the pens.  They are pretty.  I posted earlier in this thread that when I ordered Lori's pens with crystals they wouldn't stay open to write.  They kept closing on me.  I had to throw them away.  I did write a review on them.  Surely both pens I got weren't just duds and everyone elses worked well.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, @NickNack, I also went back and read your other comment from earlier. Now I'm torn. What I really need to do is stay away from threads that draw attention to things that are pretty, pink, and sparkly! Heart

On a positive note, I wasn't even slightly tempted by the $220 Junior's PieCaken Cheesecake. There may be hope for me yet! Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I purchased a beautiful wooden Mont Blanc pen for my husband on our 25th wedding anniversary. It was $150. 

I guess i should crawl crawl back into my hole now.

Esteemed Contributor

I bought 3 sets of those pens last year.  They still write a year later.   The ones I gave for gifts, people loved them.  Little girls love stuff like that.  

Honored Contributor

While we're on the subject of pens and The Dollar Tree has been mentioned, I got these pens from The Dollar Tree a few months ago.  I bought them because I thought the colors were cute!  Anway, they're terrific pens.  I was there yesterday, looking for the crystal pens, and bought another pack of these.

So, while I use Swarovski pens in our office and in my purse, this is what we use in our kitchen.  If you're at Dollar Tree, I'd recommend these.

IMG_1332.JPG

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nicknack wrote:

I bought a set of two Lori Greiner pens one time.  They weren't these, but they had crystals in them.  They were the worse pens I've ever had.  When you opened them so you could write, they kept closing.  The pen part would close up, and you couldn't write.   Both of them were like that, and I had to throw them away.  

I stopped buying her gadgets for similar quality issues.

About pens: I gave up on cute and want one that writes! A credit union in our area is well known for its great pens—see them everywhere around town, and they have to reorder constantly. It’s the kind of “thing” that if you live here, you “get it.” The teller told me it was their least expensive, best source of advertising and they encourage folks to take them. I have them all over the house!

Honored Contributor

I like carrying a beautiful pen with me in my handbag when I leave the house. My husband gifted me years ago with a couple of Tiffany pens that I still enjoy using to this day. The robin's egg blue one is my favorite as the sterling silver one has to be polished. Both have cartridges that I have purchased at Tiffany's ...usually every few years or so.

For everyday use around the house the classic Bic is fine with me.

Trusted Contributor

I'd rather spend $20 for two pens (if they're good quality) than $30 for 3 gift boxes of scrub mommy sponges. Who comes up with the holiday gift ideas at the Q???