Honored Contributor

Re: Allow me a moment of self-pity

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3  I'm so sorry about your news. Life and death involving something or someone we dearly love puts so many other extraneous things into perspective. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Our precious fur baby companions

Are ours to adore for only a short while,

Because they are so pure of heart--

The angels in heaven call them home 

Always much too soon.

Celebrate and cherish all sweet memories

Remember that Love endures forever.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

You are entitled to as much time as you need to feel the sorrow and pain of losing your dearly loved pet.  Having experienced our family dog having to be put down was devastating.  I remember coming home and opening the front door how painful it was that he wasn't there to greet me.  I know the short time you and your husband have left with her will be precious and I am very sorry for your impending loss. Heart

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3  My heart goes out to you on such a horrible diagnosis on beautiful Cody.  This is just the hardest part of having a family pet, especially with a diagnosis that was totally unexpected.  Enjoy your time with her and do all of those things that you planned for her.  There is just never enough time.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

We love our pets as you do your pets. That is no self pity. God will bless you for your kindness. Every time we have had to put  one of our pets down the sadness for us has been overwelming. Give your pet love and kindness. I know you will.I am doing a poor job of expressing my feelings.

Respected Contributor

Suzy- It's not self-pity, it's a broken heart..... Love on Cody, spoil her even more~

I am so very sorry that it was such heartbreaking news~

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3  I’m so sorry about Coty!

My Jack Russell has just turned 15 and I try to enjoy each day with him.

I had an Alaskan Malamute that had a pituitary tumor many years ago. She had radiation every day for a month at a good vet school but only lived a year and wasted away from not eating until I had to put her down.

I have insurance on my dogs but wouldn’t put them through the treatments.

My thoughts and prayers are with you!

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I'm a very private person and rarely speak here of myself or my family or anything else personal.

But my husband and I are stunned by the medical diagnosis of that beautiful and amazingly wonderful dog that you see as my avatar.

Cody, a 13-year-old Lab/Rhodesian ridgeback mix (best estimate) who has graced our home since she was 1 1/2 years old,  has just suddenly been diagnosed with a very rare and very aggressive cancer that began in her spleen and has spread to her liver and maybe elsewhere.

The oncologist did not spare us the details during our consultation after Cody's spleen was removed. She has anywhere from two to six months. Chemo, if it worked, would give her only a month or two more. She also explained what to expect as the cancer grows.

We were grateful for her honesty and have decided to forgo any invasive treatments, a decision that the doctor totally understood. She is home with us, has recovered well from surgery, and is now eating again ( her symptom was a lack of appetite). Of course, who wouldn't eat our homemade brew (chicken, rice, peas and carrots, topped off with cottage cheese -- and a scrambled egg quite often) -- and her beloved little scoop of vanilla ice cream at night?

We are devastated. We have had to put down our former dogs but have never had this grace period, which is a heart-wrenching blessing.

I appreciate being able to share this here.

Very very sorry.  Their is no comfort in the heartbreak of losing your beloved friend,except knowing that your Cody knows how much you love him.  I will certainly pray that when the time comes, God will help all of you to have some kind of comfort knowing you have been so loving. 

I have an older dog and she is my friend and family. My heart aches for you and your family, because I feel the pain.  Please  hug Cody for me and enjoy everyday with him.  Bless you.

Respected Contributor

Darn, darn, darn @suzyQ3.  I am so very sorry to hear this and my heart breaks for all of you.  I hate that you received this news about Cody.  It just isn't easy going through this, in fact it is really hard and I don't really have any words except I will hold you all close to my heart and be thinking of you, your husband, and Cody.  I can offer an ear or shoulder though if you need it, my friend.  Heart

(((((suzyQ3)))))

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

this 4 legged buddy of the family is your much loved child. You should not feel bad because you wonder how this could have happened.

Give her each day special loving, special hugs. What time she has left let her live quietly amoung her family that she knows only love her and gives her quiet caring,

I am so very sorry to hear of this terrible news for your beloved pet