Honored Contributor

Re: Allow me a moment of self-pity

It's not self-pity @suzyQ3 it's a broken heart.  I'm so sad for what you, your DH & especially Cody are going through.  Your greatest expression of love to Cody will be to make him as comfortable as possible and when he is ready to go, give him a face full of kisses and say good-bye my sweet boy...I love you.  My heart goes out to you. Heart

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 This is the hardest challenge I've ever faced in my life.  The pain of losing our precious pets is heart wrenching and there is just no way around it.  I know you have spoiled and loved your Cody and she has returned these gifts to you.  Being with her in her time of need, is the best you can do.  You will hold her paw throughout this trial and let her know how well loved she is and she will be forever in your heart.  

Honored Contributor

I'm so very very sorry to read Cody's diagnosis @suzyQ3 .  I've lost dogs from cancer, and it's always hard.  I've never had two or three months with them after the diagnosis.  I understand what you mean by that being a heart-wrenching blessing.  You will be in my thoughts.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Cody will know she is loved and protected through the rest of her life. It is so important.

It's tough for you and your husband, Suzy, but time to say goodbye is also a gift to be appreciated. 

I went through something like this with my cats a year ago, first Percy and then Claire. I was told they had some quality time, but would not be able to recover.

I wouldn't have changed anything (except of course the outcome, if I could have) because for both I had a few weeks just to love and appreciate them.

Saying a prayer for you both and for Cody. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am very sorry your wonderful pet has this diagnosis. I too had a pet at 13 who was diagnosed with liver cancer after a routine check up. I did not expect that news. Just love your pet up and make the remaining days as happy and comfortable as possible. ((Hugs)) Suzy. I am sure Cody knows you love her and thank goodness she had YOU in her life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

I am so sorry, @suzyQ3 

I've said this before, but it always applies.  They trust us to give them love and a great home while they live and trust us to let them go peacefully when it is the right time.

Not self-pity, but great sadness.  Hugs and hearts to you and your family.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

I’m so sorry. Sending you (((HUGS))) and lots of prayers. 

Respected Contributor

Suzy: Your dog is beautiful.  Sending prayers for her and you and your family. Good that she's eating .

Trusted Contributor

I am so sorry, i am crying as i write this. I know just how you feel. I lost my much loved dog a few months ago. She was coughing a lot, thinking she had grass or something stuck in her throat, she had an xray. It was lung cancer. The vet said maybe 6 months. I am still devastated.She made 5 months. I fed her "people food, all her favorites, hardly left her side, and when i did i could not wait to get back to her. I miss her everyday, it is the worst pain possible i think. I feel so bad for you, someone told me just to enjoy every minute and love her. I wish i could say something to help you, it is very hard. Lots of kisses and love to Cody and you.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 , I am so sorry for the devastating news of your beloved dog. It is hard to hear when a doctor ( in this case a vet) is so brutally honest. At least you know what to expect. Just enjoy the time you have left with Cody and hold on to all your memories with him. I sometimes wonder if it is worth it to love and take care of a pet knowing one day they will be gone, or not to have a loving pet as a member of your family? I say even though you know the pain you will have when they are gone, you would do it all over again.