Honored Contributor

Allow me a moment of self-pity

I'm a very private person and rarely speak here of myself or my family or anything else personal.

But my husband and I are stunned by the medical diagnosis of that beautiful and amazingly wonderful dog that you see as my avatar.

Cody, a 13-year-old Lab/Rhodesian ridgeback mix (best estimate) who has graced our home since she was 1 1/2 years old,  has just suddenly been diagnosed with a very rare and very aggressive cancer that began in her spleen and has spread to her liver and maybe elsewhere.

The oncologist did not spare us the details during our consultation after Cody's spleen was removed. She has anywhere from two to six months. Chemo, if it worked, would give her only a month or two more. She also explained what to expect as the cancer grows.

We were grateful for her honesty and have decided to forgo any invasive treatments, a decision that the doctor totally understood. She is home with us, has recovered well from surgery, and is now eating again ( her symptom was a lack of appetite). Of course, who wouldn't eat our homemade brew (chicken, rice, peas and carrots, topped off with cottage cheese -- and a scrambled egg quite often) -- and her beloved little scoop of vanilla ice cream at night?

We are devastated. We have had to put down our former dogs but have never had this grace period, which is a heart-wrenching blessing.

I appreciate being able to share this here.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

Re: Allow me a moment of self-pity

suzyQ3, I’m so sorry to hear this. It is so difficult. We too had a cat that we loved very much. When she was given six months to live, we decided to let nature take its course. We tried the treatment route for a short time. She started not wanting to come to us or cuddle so it seemed like we were torturing her. So we made her as comfortable as we could and put her down at the end. It was one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do. I feel for you.

Valued Contributor

I am so sorry for what you are going through. I love all animals and it breaks my heart to see one get sick. I hope your beloved, beautiful Cody does not have to suffer in pain. I am sure she has had a wonderful life with you and that her final days will be filled with love. Bless you for giving her the life all animals deserve.💕

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 - I am so sorry to hear your dog is so sick. I had this happen with one of mine and the only advice I can give you is enjoy every minute you have her. Love her, hug her.

I always felt my dogs gave me so much more than I gave them (mind you, they are treated like kings in my house, lol). They are just so much joy.

Super Contributor

@suzyQ3  I am so sorry to hear about your sweet dog Cody.  Based on your post, I know that whatever time you have left with him will be spent loving and taking the very best care of him possible.  I'm sure he feels how much you have treasured having him in your lives every day.  

Honored Contributor

((((((suzyQ3)))))) Heart

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

I am very sorry to hear this @suzyQ3 .

I really wish that dogs had longer life spans.

It is so heartbreaking. Give her all the love you can.

Respected Contributor

Yes, understood.   Very difficult to lose our fur babies.  We have gone through this several times and it is heart-wrenching.  It sounds like you have made a compassionate decision.  Good for you.  May you find peace after your ordeal.

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry @suzyQ3 . I have tears. 

Respected Contributor

To love a dog is one of life’s blessings. Our dog was a German Shepherd. He was the best and we all loved him so much. He is buried in a special place in our yard. I still visit him. Husband, sons and I all cried. We know he’s home. So sorry for you.