Honored Contributor

Re: “All the sudden” or “all of a sudden”?

[ Edited ]

I say all of a sudden, maybe it depends what part of the country your from. What really irks me is when people say "I could care less", isn't  it "I couldn't care less"?

Honored Contributor

I just thought of a context where "all the sudden" would be correct!

"All the sudden commotion startled me."  Smiley Wink

Maybe somehow it's just gotten mixed up for some people.

Respected Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

I just thought of a context where "all the sudden" would be correct!

"All the sudden commotion startled me."  Smiley Wink

Maybe somehow it's just gotten mixed up for some people.

Smiley Happy  Love it, Venezia.  Smiley Happy 

Honored Contributor

@santorini  For me, it's exclusively 'all of a sudden'. I have never heard or used the other version and wasn't even aware it existed...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I say all of a sudden, maybe it depends what part of the country your from. What really irks me is when people say "I could care less", isn't  it "I couldn't care less"?

Yes.  If someone "could care less" that means they care a little.  Smiley Happy 

Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@santorini  For me, it's exclusively 'all of a sudden'. I have never heard or used the other version and wasn't even aware it existed...

I have never used it either but I keep seeing it used here (forum) so I thought for a second that maybe I was the one who had been saying it wrong.  Smiley Happy  

Thanks for the comments.  No, this is not headline news but goodness, aren't we allowed to discuss random innocent things like this without people asking what it matters?  

Esteemed Contributor

"What does it matter?" rivals "Who Cares?" for thread responses.  So much for contributing to the conversation!

Honored Contributor

Pretty sure "all the sudden" is short for "all of the sudden." That's not the right way to say it, but at least it makes more sense. Simple switching of one word for another. If somebody said or wrote it that way I would probably not even notice.

It's something to check for and edit for in professional communication and publications. Otherwise no big dealio, IMO. "All of a sudden" doesn't sound especially professional either though.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr