Esteemed Contributor

Re: All the horrific crimes on the news every day

We are actually in one of the least violent periods in world history. The only thing that has changed is the reporting of it. We used to get the news a couple times a day with 3-5 channels before cable, they could only report so many murders, rapes and muggings a day. Now we have endless cable news outlets reporting 24/7, twitter, facebook, online news sites, instagram, youtube, etc.. Our town even has a newspaper released every week called the "Slammer" and it reports every arrest in the county i live in for the week. They never had that when I was younger.

In the 70 and 80's there were way more murders, rapes and muggings in big cities like NYC. They were averaging 2,000 murders a year, that is more than the amount of soldiers killed in Iraq during a 4 yr period.

It seems more violent because we hear about every single piece of info almost instantly but in fact it isn't.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Sad to say, many parents don't even ask where their teens are going, late at night, in and out of their houses.  The answer I get is that they wouldn't dare 'invade their privacy'.  It's a trend, not invading their teens' privacy, now-a-days.  Unfortunately, lots of bad things are happening because parents don't have a clue as to where their teens were last seen, where they planned to go and with whom.  I always had/have a kitchen clip board, letting folks know where they (and also I ) were/was going.  At the very least, the police would know where to search, just in case.

In a perfect world it would be great to know where your teen is at all times.

In today's technology age it is impossible to keep track of anyone, no less teens, who are experts in roaming around in stealth mode.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Esteemed Contributor

@Lotus wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

Sad to say, many parents don't even ask where their teens are going, late at night, in and out of their houses.  The answer I get is that they wouldn't dare 'invade their privacy'.  It's a trend, not invading their teens' privacy, now-a-days.  Unfortunately, lots of bad things are happening because parents don't have a clue as to where their teens were last seen, where they planned to go and with whom.  I always had/have a kitchen clip board, letting folks know where they (and also I ) were/was going.  At the very least, the police would know where to search, just in case.

In a perfect world it would be great to know where your teen is at all times.

In today's technology age it is impossible to keep track of anyone, no less teens, who are experts in roaming around in stealth mode.

Actually today it is probably easier to track a kid. Put a GPS on their phone or on any vehicle they drive. If they refuse, they don't need to have a phone or use the car.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

@NUNYA wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

Yes, it's true that a lot of the crimes are committed by younger people but criminals come in all sixes, shapes, colors, class, rank, religions and ages.   It's NOT just the teens.

So true. I used to think the heroin problem was a junkie sitting in an alley. I was very, very wrong. 

@nun ya....over 20 yrs. ago I had a good friend and co-worker who died from a heroin overdose.  He was a hard working family man. I tried telling his buddies that he hung out with that he was using drugs, but they refused to believe me. Then one day I got the phone call that he was gone. Cat Sad

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

Yes, I guess it is much easier to 'track' teens because of technology.  Still, a note of some sort on a clip board or bulletin board would be helpful, too.  Just a matter of being a nice, considerate teen. (Or ANY age, for that matter. I'm also thinking of various natural disasters..........would be nice to know where to try to reach the other person(s).)  Well, we do what we feel would be most safe and helpful, in some households,some families.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Crime is up in many cities right now, after having been trending downward for many years. Crime is always worse in the summer, so I'm hopeful that the spikes will head back down as the weather cools.

In my area it's traffic fatalities that are up. We've set a record for traffic fatalities this year and we have 3 months left to go.

Respected Contributor

@Lotus wrote:

@straykatz wrote:

Drugs are 1 of the reasons for crime but certainly not the only reason.  

Hi SK.....I agree, but I also think drugs are the reason for a spike in crime in certain areas.

-------------------------------------------------------

As far as rehab......long term rehab and organized after care is necessary for addicts.....not getting tossed out after being there a week because insurance wouldn't allow longer.

Hi Lotus....unemployment...the high cost of living....overall lack of morals....disrespect for other people and their property...and disrepect towards the law and police...are all major contributors too.   Add all this to the fact we live in a very materialistic society where what you have and how much you have often defines who you are and your success.....and let's not forget that even something as basic as a cell phone can cost up to 6 or 7 hundred bucks today if you want the latest and greatest in phone gadgets....nothing comes cheaply....and far too many think there is an easier way than working for pennies to get what you want.          

Respected Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

@NUNYA wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

Yes, it's true that a lot of the crimes are committed by younger people but criminals come in all sixes, shapes, colors, class, rank, religions and ages.   It's NOT just the teens.

So true. I used to think the heroin problem was a junkie sitting in an alley. I was very, very wrong. 

@nun ya....over 20 yrs. ago I had a good friend and co-worker who died from a heroin overdose.  He was a hard working family man. I tried telling his buddies that he hung out with that he was using drugs, but they refused to believe me. Then one day I got the phone call that he was gone. Cat Sad

That is so sad. 

There have been numerous deaths in my small town, it's always shocking when you know the person and had no clue they were a user. 

Unfortunately, I have an extended family member who can't kick it. Many rounds of rehab and jail and the drug still wins. What once was a productive trusting person, has turned into something total opposite, it's awful. 

About the only way to keep them alive, is jail. As sad as that is. 

Valued Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Actually, I think it would be wise to look into the gun laws in your state or community when you get a gun and be extremely well knowledgeable about them. We do keep DH's shotgun loaded and ready in our bedroom closet in case it is needed but , in fact, where I live, unless a home invader is brandishing a weapon and threatening you with it, you do not have the right to shoot them. In other words , just him being in your home does not give you  a right to shoot him. The Constitution only says you have a right to own a weapon , not that you have a right to shoot anyone with it. My DH feels a shotgun is much more of a deterant to a burglar than a handgun would be.Looking down those two large barrels would be pretty terrifying and it is also pretty hard to miss with a shotgun at close range if you did need to use it.

I realy don't care what the law says, if an intruder enters our house, he will be shot. I'd rather take my chances in a court of law than with a criminal. We the people really need to get involved and get these laws that protect criminals changed. We must take back the rights of the law abiding citizens!

Respected Contributor

@NUNYA wrote:

@catwhisperer wrote:

@NUNYA wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

That is so sad. 

There have been numerous deaths in my small town, it's always shocking when you know the person and had no clue they were a user. 

Unfortunately, I have an extended family member who can't kick it. Many rounds of rehab and jail and the drug still wins. What once was a productive trusting person, has turned into something total opposite, it's awful. 

About the only way to keep them alive, is jail. As sad as that is. 

@nun ya...my son was a drug addict. He was in jail. As soon as he got out, he got a hold of some drugs and took his own life. I'm sorry to hear about your family member. That is sad and hard to deal with. Not much one can do unless THEY want to stop the cycle.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.