Esteemed Contributor

Re: All the horrific crimes on the news every day

@hyacinth003 wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

Sad, sad times.  Yes, dr*gs that are 'way' too available to just about anyone, including teens.

The same is true about guns..."way too available to just about anyone, including teens."

I'll bet the perpetrators of the 53 injured and 5 killed in Chicago over the weekend all had legally licensed guns.

My daughter and I are going to take classes to obtain concealed carry licenses in Illinois.  I doubt we will be a danger to anyone unless they try to break in or hurt us.

I would be willing never to consider a gun if they were taken from criminals.  But, that's never going to be.  So, unlike people who have bodyguards but tell the rest of us not to protect ourselves, I don't feel safe anymore.

Hyacinth    Cat Sad

Could very well be @hyacinth003 since the surrounding states have lax laws BUT I doubt the guns were bought legally.  Most street or gang related crimes are committed by people who buy guns in states with lax gun laws and bring them across state lines.  Many of the gun related crimes in the northeast are by people who purchased guns in North Carolina.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Esteemed Contributor

There are a lot of terrible crimes being reported each day, but lately there have also been horrible accidents, like the baby that was killed in the stroller yesterday. Right now Seattle is dealing with the deaths of the foreign exchange students who were killed in the horrible Duck Boat crash with the bus last week. So many killed and so many still in the hospital from injuries.

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Sad to say, many parents don't even ask where their teens are going, late at night, in and out of their houses.  The answer I get is that they wouldn't dare 'invade their privacy'.  It's a trend, not invading their teens' privacy, now-a-days.  Unfortunately, lots of bad things are happening because parents don't have a clue as to where their teens were last seen, where they planned to go and with whom.  I always had/have a kitchen clip board, letting folks know where they (and also I ) were/was going.  At the very least, the police would know where to search, just in case.

When i was in HS back in the dark ages - my Mom had a blackboard in the hall upstairs by her bedroom door. We were required to write on there where we would be and the phone #. If she called - and she randomly did call - and we were not there, we were toast. We also had curfew and she had an alarm clock for each of us on the floor outside her bedroom door.She set the alarm at the time each of us was to be home. When we got home we turned off our alarm clock - believe me - if that alarm went off and woke her up we were certain to be sorry when we got home. parents today don't seem to pay enough attention to these things with their kids.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's not only teens doing drugs, and not all addicts are out all night. There are many, many functioning addicts, professionals with jobs, and kids,  people you would never think. 

I'm not even sure rehab is the answer. It's a big money maker when someone returns 5 or 10 times. 

I don't know the answer, sadly.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, it's true that a lot of the crimes are committed by younger people but criminals come in all sixes, shapes, colors, class, rank, religions and ages.   It's NOT just the teens.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Respected Contributor

Drugs are 1 of the reasons for crime but certainly not the only reason.  

Respected Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

Yes, it's true that a lot of the crimes are committed by younger people but criminals come in all sixes, shapes, colors, class, rank, religions and ages.   It's NOT just the teens.

So true. I used to think the heroin problem was a junkie sitting in an alley. I was very, very wrong. 

Respected Contributor

@straykatz wrote:

Drugs are 1 of the reasons for crime but certainly not the only reason.  

Hi SK.....I agree, but I also think drugs are the reason for a spike in crime in certain areas.

-------------------------------------------------------

As far as rehab......long term rehab and organized after care is necessary for addicts.....not getting tossed out after being there a week because insurance wouldn't allow longer.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Honored Contributor

151949:  Absolutely great idea!  If parents 'start them' (rules) at a young age, it will be 'normal' for them when they are teens. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@hyacinth003 wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

Sad, sad times.  Yes, dr*gs that are 'way' too available to just about anyone, including teens.

The same is true about guns..."way too available to just about anyone, including teens."

I'll bet the perpetrators of the 53 injured and 5 killed in Chicago over the weekend all had legally licensed guns.

My daughter and I are going to take classes to obtain concealed carry licenses in Illinois.  I doubt we will be a danger to anyone unless they try to break in or hurt us.

I would be willing never to consider a gun if they were taken from criminals.  But, that's never going to be.  So, unlike people who have bodyguards but tell the rest of us not to protect ourselves, I don't feel safe anymore.

Hyacinth    Cat Sad

Could very well be @hyacinth003 since the surrounding states have lax laws BUT I doubt the guns were bought legally.  Most street or gang related crimes are committed by people who buy guns in states with lax gun laws and bring them across state lines.  Many of the gun related crimes in the northeast are by people who purchased guns in North Carolina.

Thugs will do what they do.  They get their guns off the streets and other thugs.  Illinois has fought every effort by law abiding citizens to get guns.  Perhaps North Carolina doesn't go far enough, I don't know.  If the answer were more laws, Illinois would have drastically fewer shootings, since they want to make new restrictions all the time.

It is far easier for politicians to call for more gun laws than it is to address the societal problems leading to all the violence.  They are completely disingenuous when they say that is the answer.  The problem lies with the people involved.  But, there is little truth spoken about the real problems, so there will be no real answers any time soon.  Oh, I wish it were as simple as more gun laws.

Hyacinth    Cat Sad