Valued Contributor

Re: All the horrific crimes on the news every day

@june22 wrote:

We. seem to have a lot of home invasions lately where I live.....when people are home and awake one or more people break in an rob the home owners..  Just yesterday a home invasion burglar was shot by the home owner in the leg( I am sure he could have killed him but chose not to).  Now they are deciding if the home owner should have shot him as the burglar was not armed.....I mean that makes no sense at all! Now we can not even protect ourselves from the burglar as the burglar has his rights......

If anyone breaks into our house, I can assure you that DH will shoot them and NOT to wound! It is outrageous that there would even be a question as to whether or not a person can defend his/her own property. 

Esteemed Contributor

The so-called news seems only to report on the negative things.  They sensationalize it and spin it.  Real news isn't really reported upon because I don't think they know how to or what to report on.  Crime reaches all socio-economic levels and areas.  Doesn't help to have on most of the television shows Crime/homicide/detective series.  It's all just too much.   

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

There isn't much violent crime where I am, but car thefts have gone up.

However, the city is changing rapidly because of the tech boom here.  And because of that, prices have skyrocketed.  The typical place to go for a good burger in a newish restaurant is $16 dollars a burger.  Everywhere you look, people are driving Teslas.  Not good.

Special housing will be going up to make it affordable for teachers. 

There is so much money in this town, they're choking on it.

Or we could just pay cops and teachers enough so they could afford to live where they work - but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Esteemed Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

There isn't much violent crime where I am, but car thefts have gone up.

However, the city is changing rapidly because of the tech boom here.  And because of that, prices have skyrocketed.  The typical place to go for a good burger in a newish restaurant is $16 dollars a burger.  Everywhere you look, people are driving Teslas.  Not good.

Special housing will be going up to make it affordable for teachers. 

There is so much money in this town, they're choking on it.

Hi Noel

Nothing wrong with having money or that others have it.  It's good to know you live in a country/city/town that is prosperous.  As far as the Teslas, what an ordinary looking car.  I understand that they leave a larger footprint than petroleum using autos.  Nothing wrong with driving a pricey car, it's someone's choice and they do have a right to choose here in America.  Soldiers die for us to have choices and rights.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

We've lived our entire lives in the Detroit suburbs. Trust me we had our share of horrendous news every single night. We now live in a very rural area up north MI. We welome the local news now that the main topic is just gives the local farm reports, Love it!

Wow. I've lived up here since I transfered from Detroit. Dunno the news you're listening to?

Meth heads cooking meth in the National Forest. Embezzelment, school coaches accused of abusing their students, break ins every day, people got arrested for heroin, several murder-suicides.

What nice farm report do you listen to?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't live in Pittsburgh but we are not that far from there. We get the Pittsburgh papers delivered to our home every day, plus our local daily paper. Many years ago when my husband suffered a illness and was taken to a Pittsburgh hospital for treatment I would not be afraid to go and visit him by my self and leave and go to the parking lot with out fear. My Dad had a operation at the medical center near by the arena I went to see him at night  that also was years ago it has been closed for years but now these many years later there is no way I would go any place in Pittsburgh by my self. Lord knows I would probably make a wrong turn and be shot. I can't imagine how the people in those area's were all thes shooting take place can relax. Where all these people get these guns is beyond me. My biggest fear is that if I were to get really ill and had to go to one of the hospitals in Pittsburgh . We are maybe 40 or 50 miles out of Pittsburgh and we are full of drugger's. There are so many over doses and drug dealers who have some how located here so I guess there will be shootings happening here in time.  

Honored Contributor

Years ago, we rarely heard all the stories as we do today and lots of times, I think I'd be better off to return to those days.

It doesn't help me to know about every gunshot, every theft, every arson in so many places that I can't even place them on a map.  I do like to know if my own neighborhood is safe, but beyond that, lots of that info is toxic.

I know it's escapism, but some days I just turn off the local news and read fiction.  It doesn't change what's happening "out there," but it does nelp me keep myself from going a bit crazy and think the whole world is falling apart.

Respected Contributor

I live in a small town.  Our local newspaper comes out once a week.  Inside the front page is the police blotter from the past week.  Usually, there are about ten entries.  It's normally things like someone stopped for driving erratically, petty theft, domestic argument.  Once in awhile someone wanted for a serious crime in a larger city or the big city to the south of us is picked up.  Recently we did have a case of child abuse/neglect.  A drug addicted couple had their infant living in a cold garage with little food or clothing.  That was sad and horrible to learn.

While we are not immune from bad things, I would say our little community is generally safe.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

The so-called news seems only to report on the negative things.  They sensationalize it and spin it.  Real news isn't really reported upon because I don't think they know how to or what to report on.  Crime reaches all socio-economic levels and areas.  Doesn't help to have on most of the television shows Crime/homicide/detective series.  It's all just too much.   

Local news always covers things like shootings, robberies, traffic acidents, local politics, etc.  They listen to the police radio calls to hear what's going on.  No one calls in good things happening.  I don't know if crime is going up or just being reported more

I do have to say that my local ABC channel does do a good job of balancing the stories. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.