Honored Contributor

All the horrific crimes on the news every day

We live in SW Florida - nearest city is Sarasota and the news does have some occasional crime stories but that is far from the bulk of the news. In the summers we snowbird to Pittsburgh , which is our lifelong home and we love it here. However, the amount of crime here is really astounding to us. Between murders and child molestations , that is all that is on the news here. Drive by shootings are just normal every day events here anymore. What has happened to our beloved city? We feel like the criminals are taking over. More like Chicago or NYC or LA than the nice friendly city where we grew up. Is this happening in other areas of the country as well. I feel like when we are in Florida , because the bulk of the residents are senior citizens , we get isolated from what goes on in the rest of the country.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: All the horrific crimes on the news every day

I don't live in a city setting because of the possibility of crime which I think is on the rise everywhere.  I was under the impression that Florida was in the same boat.  When we visited we noticed that there were homes behind gated security enclosures.  It would seem the residents feel they need protection.  None of our areas have gates anywhere.  

Esteemed Contributor

I think it is all drug related. In our area we have addicts running around parking lots and neighborhoods looking for something to steal for their next fix. The nicer the neighborhood the better..... The mall has a problem with people running out of the stores with merchandise. It 's getting scary....

Esteemed Contributor

I know how you feel.  I'm from Philadelphia -- the city of brotherly love.  Ha!  The crime here is getting so out of control.  The city is not a safe place.  

Valued Contributor

It seems like there is a lot more gun violence for sure. I live just south of Cleveland, and this year is on track to have the most homicides ever. Just about every day there is another shooting, and 2 of the victims were very young children in the last month. It has been reported that most of the violence is gang related.

Respected Contributor

I have to agree. I hate watching the news here anymore. It seems if they're not reporting on the sports teams it all doom and gloom. Every day at least one or two shootings or murders. I am not sure Pittsburgh is that different from other similar cities, I just think the news stations here tend to concentrate more on those stories than looking for anything else.
Trusted Contributor

We. seem to have a lot of home invasions lately where I live.....when people are home and awake one or more people break in an rob the home owners..  Just yesterday a home invasion burglar was shot by the home owner in the leg( I am sure he could have killed him but chose not to).  Now they are deciding if the home owner should have shot him as the burglar was not armed.....I mean that makes no sense at all! Now we can not even protect ourselves from the burglar as the burglar has his rights......

Honored Contributor

We've lived our entire lives in the Detroit suburbs. Trust me we had our share of horrendous news every single night. We now live in a very rural area up north MI. We welome the local news now that the main topic is just gives the local farm reports, Love it!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I grew up and lived my life in a huge metropolitan city in So. Calif.  Anything not tacked down was stolen.  That's just a matter of fact so you learn early on not to leave anything you wish to keep unattended.  Sometimes things were just demolished on your property for the fun of it.  What the police considered "small" outrages were pretty much ignored because of the predominance of crimes that were more horrific and needed their help.  I remember car jackings, smashed windows at stop lights to grab purses off passenger seats being a tend for quite a while....

We married and moved into our first house.  Both of us worked.  It was a nice neighborhood.  I bought four hanging plants to hang under the eve of the house by the walkway up to the front door.  We had a screen door that was more substantial than most with a large broad steel piece that happened to go over the area where the front door knob was.  We always locked the door and the screen door.  One day we came home from work and all the plants were gone AND they slit the screen door in an attempt to get at the front door knob, which was locked..... that was 35 years ago.

Unfortunately it's far worse today.

We retired and moved to the Upper Midwest, very small town five years ago.  I'm still getting used to having doors opened for me by teenagers with a broad smile.  I'm still getting used to ladies leaving their purses on a seat at a restaurant when they go use the bathrooms.  I'm still amazed that home doors are left unlocked and cars left running outside stores.....

But my training runs deep and I doubt I'll ever stop the habits I developed....

I love it here.  This is the way it SHOULD be..... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

There isn't much violent crime where I am, but car thefts have gone up.

However, the city is changing rapidly because of the tech boom here.  And because of that, prices have skyrocketed.  The typical place to go for a good burger in a newish restaurant is $16 dollars a burger.  Everywhere you look, people are driving Teslas.  Not good.

Special housing will be going up to make it affordable for teachers. 

There is so much money in this town, they're choking on it.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices