Super Contributor

Re: All salon stylists in Orcutt CA staging a protest next week

I thikn this is GREAT!

GO GET UM ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! 

Respected Contributor

@patbz wrote:

@noodleann : She is not refusing to work outside ( although this group of stylists feel that working out on the parking lot isn't more sanitary ( or effective in the case of some services they provide plus what about all those electric apparatus they use it it rains and it does--Central Coast of CA).  They are observing all safety practices that all salons must use under their strict guidelines.  If you've been following the news, many people are in long lines at unemployment offices and STILL not getting help-- states are backlogged.  Also, as previously discussed, stylists are heavily regulated and most can't make " house calls" legally.  I, personally, haven't been to a salon in almost a year ( doable since I have grey/ white hair and it's long; just bought a pair of shears, and with DHs help, I occasionally trim a half inch).  I also use clippers and shears on DH.

You still haven't answered my question, unless you're equating "many people are in long lines at unemployment offices" with not being able to collect UI, which it's not. I don't follow California news, except the deplorable case stats.

Don't understand what your own hair has to do with a discussion about your relative's unemployment issues.

Respected Contributor

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

@Miss Pepsi wrote:

While I feel badly that they are out of work again you could not pay me enough money to

go to a salon for anything.  Not going to do it until this thing has been over for quite awhile and unfortunately I don't think we are going to see that anytime soon.

My opinion only but going to a salon is a luxury I think most people can do without.

Shampooing hair is no more a luxury than bathing your body. People who are  ill, disable or eldery my be unable to do this for themselves. Also at some point hair needs cutting.

It is a huge disservcie to label this as non-essential for people who earn their living in a salon and people who are unable to care for their hair themselves.

Your luxury is their need.

Perfectly stated, @Iwantcoffee .

Esteemed Contributor

@Linmo wrote:

@patbz Things are a little bit up in the air right now here in CA.  There was an underreporting of positive test results in certain counties and the state's chief medical officer resigned.  Our first community spread case back in February was in a nail salon, so I think our leaders are concerned about that type of environment.  

I have read that that was a mistake that it was spread in a salon.  When a group investigated, his staff admitted it was a mistake.   I don't think it was every publicly retracted.  I guess it's a case of that's his story and he's sticking to it kind of thing.

Honored Contributor

I am of two minds here: I can't imagine what people are going through whose livelihood has been severely impacted; but I do place priority on doing what is needed to at least try to get a handle on this beast.

Of course IMO the government, all of them, should be doing what they can to help anyone who has been displaced. I've no doubt that other countries considered that to be essential.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Certain industries have been hit harder than others by Covid. It's not fair, but there's nothing we can do about it except help mitigate the after effects. Close contact jobs where you touch other people are going to fluctuate. In hotter hot spots they are going to blink on and off like an old lightbulb.

The niece needs to receive her unemployment insurance, first off. Second off, it's a good time to roll with changes as much as possible.

Consider it all temporary. Put up an awning over the chairs in the parking lot. Do what you can to innovate and stay light on your feet. It's hard, but throughout history, the people who survived crises like the one we are in changed and adapted and did not insist on doing what they had always done.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Super Contributor

I live in CA, my last haircut was February.  My hair stylist sent me a text in June, saying she was unable to pay the rent and so was quitting the business.  I hope everything can be resolved quickly so people can get back to work and school soon.

Esteemed Contributor

I believe it was in Missouri that two hair stylists tested positive for covid and had exposed over 140 people between their clients and co-workers.  No new cases were tied to those two hair stylists.  The setting my hair stylist works in is a lot safer than a grocery store, etc., although the guy I went to before her I never would have gone back to that salon because of the way the owner crammed all the chairs together.  So I really believe it is a matter of the salon you go to and your hair stylist, if you trust them to be keeping things clean and safe.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs Are you getting unemployment?  I know in MI people who had reduced hours got it, plus the $600.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KarenQVC ...we are getting something similar, we have to report our profit each week to the state, then, depending on the amount, they determine if we are eligible for compensation.  

We were declined a few weeks and were compensated for a few other weeks.  Once things began to pick up (we had about 3 weeks of consistent orders) so decided to quit applying because the money from the state was to expire the end of July.

If no works comes in we may have to apply again, if the program is still available.  We have had no new orders for about 5 days.

edited ot add:  Before we are eligible for the $600.00 we had to qualify for benefits...meaning if we don't qualify for benefits we are not eligible for the 600.00.