Respected Contributor

Re: All salon stylists in Orcutt CA staging a protest next week

@Mom2Dogs Good.  I hope they keep up the program for you.

Valued Contributor

@IwantcoffeeThank you for your kind words.Just got in from shop.We follow our guidelines on reopening here in NC to the max.
I am so glad my customers are coming & glad to be back.I know I will take whatever precautions I can to protect them.
I don't think I would mind working outside...kinda hot thou even in shade...but the niece has to do what she feels is right.
I know here a protest wouldn't change anything.
Take care & stay safe.Headed back to work.
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Openings not be treated fairly.  They should be able to open.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The extra $600.00 is not in effect any longer. That ended last month so no one is getting that anymore.  And if you didn't qualify for unemployment for some reason, you didn't get that extra money.

In Ohio, there was a huge glitch in the system so those who were self-employed couldn't file until mid-May.  Yes the unemployment was retroactive but for 2 months, many went without any income at all.

They need to figure out why they aren't able to get unemployment.  Again, it could be another glitch in the system.  My DH hasn't been able to file for the last 2 weeks due to a system glitch.  It takes time and perserverence to get things worked out.  He has spent about 3 hours on the phone trying to get this taken care of.  He was on the phone over 2 hours today and was told if it's not fixed next week, call back.  It's a mess but that's what he's going to do.  

Some people don't want to put the work in.  If things don't work out the first time, they just say they can't file, don't qualify, etc. and move on.  Co-workers of his have done it. 

Respected Contributor

These are strange times.  I was just thinking we are at the point that just about everyone would take to the streets about something.  The problem is most of us won't---because of the virus.

QVC Customer Care

Trusted Contributor

@patbz wrote:

My niece is a stylist in Orcutt CA and she, along with all stylists in her city are staging a protest next week. After being on unemployment they briefly were allowed to reopen but ten days later they were forced to close by Governor.  Couldn't go on unemployment, couldn't work, except outdoors ( huge loss of income) so they are staging a protest.  I'm glad they are being proactive ( hope they're successful) btw, no one contacted Covid in any of their salons.

Good for them!!  I also wonder why the beauty shops have restrictions on who can touch their products. there are signs in the shops that customers can't pick up products, a employee has to pick up the product, wipe it down, customer has to use hand sanitizer, and the product has to be wiped down b4 putting the product back on the shelf if the customer doesn't want it. However you can go all over town, walmart, rite-aid, walgreens, all the grocery stores, etc have no such restictions!!!  Why are the small business owners targeted with such restrictions!

Honored Contributor

@arrabella 

Salons have a lot fewer customers. And in a salon there is usually only one area with products on the shelves. It's a lot more feasible to clean individual items regularly at a salon than it would be at a megastore. I wish it were possible to keep items cleaned at the megastores too, but it just isn't due to size and volume. We have to do the best we can on an individual basis. One size can't fit all.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr