Trusted Contributor

Re: All salon stylists in Orcutt CA staging a protest next week

While I feel badly that they are out of work again you could not pay me enough money to

go to a salon for anything.  Not going to do it until this thing has been over for quite awhile and unfortunately I don't think we are going to see that anytime soon.

My opinion only but going to a salon is a luxury I think most people can do without.

Esteemed Contributor

It would be so nice if we, as a people, had some discipline.  Want the economy and schools back?  Think people!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Miss Pepsi wrote:

While I feel badly that they are out of work again you could not pay me enough money to

go to a salon for anything.  Not going to do it until this thing has been over for quite awhile and unfortunately I don't think we are going to see that anytime soon.

My opinion only but going to a salon is a luxury I think most people can do without.

Shampooing hair is no more a luxury than bathing your body. People who are  ill, disable or eldery my be unable to do this for themselves. Also at some point hair needs cutting.

It is a huge disservcie to label this as non-essential for people who earn their living in a salon and people who are unable to care for their hair themselves.

Your luxury is their need.

Esteemed Contributor

I live in Arizona which for a while was ground zero. I have been going to a salon every 4 weeks since they opened without a problem. Granted it's a one person salon but none the less I do have to pass others getting there. Getting my hair done is my one luxury these days. I do not want to be walking around with scraggly skunk hair. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Gym owners in Phoenix  (who were following all safety regulations) sued the State to reopen, and won.   

They won sort of. Look at Ducey's guidelines from yesterday. I'm curious as to when they will open. I'm to the point now I don't care if my gym ever reopens. I have exercise equipment at home and maybe by November it will be cool enough and we can step outside and go for a walk. 

Esteemed Contributor

I went to a salon and was the only customer there. Many precautions were taken and there no problems. No one got sick because of it. As long as precautions are taken, I will continue to go to a salon, go to stores, and a restaurant occasionally. Right now I feel safe enough to do certain things. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

I am sorry for their loss of income, though if things keep opening especially in places with increases in positives and deaths, we will never beat this and never be "free" to get back to where we were.

New Zealand had their 100th day of NO virus! Why? other countries asked. Why did they have 22 total deaths as opposed to 161,842 in the US?!  You can google to find out why. Their results and what they are now doing with day 102 of a family that now has contacted it.

It is encouraging to hear about what can, and was done in their country but devastating, knowing we are and were not as fortunate and a wake up to what we would need to do if really wanting to be able to open without more positives and more deaths.

Reality is do you want to get your hair done or do you want everyone you know, yourself included to stay alive .

97,000 children in the US contacted this virus in the last 2 weeks of July alone! But hey, send them off to school, open those up, they'll be "ok." We can just keep pretending and believing this virus is past us and keep doing things we want cause we are tired of it all. And just hope to live another year.

Or we can do what New Zeland did.

and have most of our country still alive.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

@Miss Pepsi wrote:

Shampooing hair is no more a luxury than bathing your body. People who are  ill, disable or eldery my be unable to do this for themselves. Also at some point hair needs cutting.

It is a huge disservcie to label this as non-essentail for people who earn their living in a salon and people who are unable to care for their hair themselves.

Your luxury is their need.

If "earning a living" was the way "essential" was defined, every job would be essential, rendering the word meaningless.

Having your hair cut is not essential. It has nothing to do with your health or survival. It's cosmetic. People who are unable to care for their own bodies very likely already have assistance washing their hair. They don't need to and shouldn't risk their health by going to a salon to have it done. FYI, when I had visiting nurse services to deal with my wound vac between visits to the wound doctor, I would have lost that insurance benefit--visiting nurses--if I'd gone to a salon and they'd found out about it. The nurse visits continued for months. 

I'm still waiting to learn why @patbz 's relative can't get unemployment benefits again, unless it's because she refuses to work outside, which means her job loss is elective.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the bay wrote:

I am sorry for their loss of income, though if things keep opening especially in places with increases in positives and deaths, we will never beat this and never be "free" to get back to where we were.

NewZealandd had their100thh day of NO virus! Why? other countries asked. Why did they have 22 total deaths as opposed to 161,842 in the US?!  You cangooglee to find out why. Their results and what they are now doing with day 102 of a family that now has contacted it.

It is encouraging to hear about what can, and was done in their country but devastating, knowing we are and were not as fortunate and a wake up to what we would need to do if really wanting to be able to open without more positives and more deaths.

Reality is do you want to get your hair done or do you want everyone you know, yourself included to stay alive .

97,000 children in the US contacted this virus in the last 2 weeks of July alone! But hey, send them off to school, open those up, they'll be okk." We can just keep pretending and believing this virus is past us and keep doing things we want cause we are tired of it all. And just hope to live another year.

Or we can do what NewZelandd did.

and have most of our country still alive.

@on the bay 

Awwwww, but @on the bay , don't you know? NewZealand is an island and has a fraction of the population that we do, that's why we don't have better results. (Insert eyeroll here).

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

@noodleann : She is not refusing to work outside ( although this group of stylists feel that working out on the parking lot isn't more sanitary ( or effective in the case of some services they provide plus what about all those electric apparatus they use it it rains and it does--Central Coast of CA).  They are observing all safety practices that all salons must use under their strict guidelines.  If you've been following the news, many people are in long lines at unemployment offices and STILL not getting help-- states are backlogged.  Also, as previously discussed, stylists are heavily regulated and most can't make " house calls" legally.  I, personally, haven't been to a salon in almost a year ( doable since I have grey/ white hair and it's long; just bought a pair of shears, and with DHs help, I occasionally trim a half inch).  I also use clippers and shears on DH.