Esteemed Contributor

All salon stylists in Orcutt CA staging a protest next week

My niece is a stylist in Orcutt CA and she, along with all stylists in her city are staging a protest next week. After being on unemployment they briefly were allowed to reopen but ten days later they were forced to close by Governor.  Couldn't go on unemployment, couldn't work, except outdoors ( huge loss of income) so they are staging a protest.  I'm glad they are being proactive ( hope they're successful) btw, no one contacted Covid in any of their salons.

Honored Contributor

Re: All salon stylists in Orcutt CA staging a protest next week

That happened in an Oklahoma town South of us.  Liquor stores were open though!  And the Pot Emporiums!  I think the salon owners sued.  

Respected Contributor

@patbz Things are a little bit up in the air right now here in CA.  There was an underreporting of positive test results in certain counties and the state's chief medical officer resigned.  Our first community spread case back in February was in a nail salon, so I think our leaders are concerned about that type of environment.  

Respected Contributor

It seems like they should have been able to go back on unemployment, especially since they were accepted initially.

Respected Contributor

@tucsongal wrote:

It seems like they should have been able to go back on unemployment, especially since they were accepted initially.

@tucsongal These are the people that our local, state and federal officials should be focused on, along with small businesses.  

QVC Customer Care
Honored Contributor

Gym owners in Phoenix  (who were following all safety regulations) sued the State to reopen, and won.   

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry, you couldn't pay me to sit in any enclosed space that close to another person. Masks offer some protection but nowhere near 100% protection and I'm not one to gamble with my life or the lives of my loved ones. Salon services are a luxury not an essential. 

Unfortunately this is how what EVERY single person does in this country affects all of us.  You can thank the anti-maskers and mass gatherers for our lack of freedom.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Getting my hair professionally colored, cut, and styled once a month is one of my main luxuries, but if I were living in an area where the positive rate of infection was high, I'd be extremely hesitant to go to a salon. 

I've been only twice since the spike in infections, once to a one-person tiny salon and once to a formerly busy salon which has reduced itself to fewer than half of their former stylists working at any one time.  In the latter I'm counting on the stylist to take every precaution because he was so ill with the virus during March.

Esteemed Contributor

Just what this country needs.... Another protest.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt